Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to start a yamaha r6 2003,2004,2005 without cylinder identification sensor? I have no fault messages on my display.
Is this sensor related to get spark? Because I have no spark.
Everything is fine, I checked everything in the diagnostic mode:

01= 16
02= 101
03= 0
05= 16
06= 15
07= 0
08= 0,6
09= 13,2
20= on
21= on
30,31,32,33= see spark!
36,37,38,39= hear injection
48= works fine, hear clicking

The startermotor turns, but no spark. I checked the ECU on an other r6, and it works fine, so in my opinion, it's not my ECU.
How can I check of my starting circuit cut-off relay is good working?
I checked it by the ignition troubleshooting, but everything is fine.
So maybe it's my cylinder identification sensor. Or is it possible to start without it? How can I check or it is goodworking?
Who can help me?

Thanks

·
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
867 Posts
That makes sense, I dont know about the computers on an r6 but i work at a ford dealer and on some models without the cmp (cam position sensor) the computer doesn't know where the cam and crank are so it doesn't know what cylinders are on what stroke so it doesn't know where to inject fuel and put spark and it wont start

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
Well what's it say on d60 and d61? A faulty cylinder idenfication sensor should give you a code 11 on the display and it will prevent it from starting. At least mine did. It would give a code 11 and I believe it was 33,34,35,36 showing that there was a short or open circuit detected with the coils because of the sensor. So it doesn't show you any numbers on the display when you try to crank it?

If you don't have the service manual already download it from here. If you type diagnostic in the search bar of adobe it will take you to the self diagnostic mode section and tell you all the codes.
http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/...254-r6-service-maintenance-repair-manual.html

Oh and it's exactly like Nick explained basically the computer doesn't know when cylinder #1 is at TDC and that's how it determines ignition timing. So if the cylinder ID sensor is bad it doesn't know what postion anything is at because it has no single point to relate everything else to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So... If I understand it right... The crankshaftpositionsensor tells when to spark, and the camshaftpositionsensor tells where to spark?!
Am I right?

That explains me a lot...

But... I have no fault messages, EVEN when I disconnected the camshaft/cylinder identification sensor, and try to start! So, can this be te problem?

Greetz

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
Yes. If you are getting spark checking in diag mode like you did and no spark when trying to start the bike you know the harness and everything is good. I would try to find a new CID sensor for cheap and swap that out. Hopefully that resolves your issue, because a weak reading on the CID sensor will prevent the bike from allowing any ignition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I think this is the problem...! I get tomorrow another CID sensor, and let you know if this causes the problem

Hans

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was the problem! The Cylinder identification sensor!
But weird, I'll get no error codes...
And error code 11 is to bad working CID sensor..

Thanks all!

·
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
867 Posts
Good job glad you figured it out man

1 - 9 of 9 Posts