Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals just picked up my new 08' R6 last Sat.:toocool: I'm very excited and have many question. First of, I'm new. When I say I'm now I'm talking about never been on any type of 2 wheels in my entire life. I'm 25 B-day was May 20 so it's a gift from myself to me. :party
A little about myself:
5'5" :YEA
140 lbs
own 5-6 speed car all my life.
Live in memphis
Here are my question:
Lowering the bike. Being an 08 I did a search and didn't find any on 08.
Which/where can I get a lowering link. I know many will say "don't" I have been doing a little reading and are aware of the negatives of lowering. I don't ever go to the track, not a really twisty lover rider, just like to ride. Love the look of the R6 so please don't make comments like "the r6 is not the bike for you then" because it's too late.
Protecting gear: Both for me and the bike. I know for a fact that the bike will fall. Will fall many time for that matter. So what can I get to protect myself and the bike.
I understand. I know I will and have to take it slow. So far, I have put 1 mile on the bike. Most of it I didn't even use the gas. I just let the torque do the work. Top speed so far 12 mile/hr. So when I say I'm takeing it slow I mean slow.
Thank you.
oh. first mod.... spend Sun. morning cutting into the seat. So it's done.

·
Registered
99 Posts
First off, don't let anybody tell you that lowering a bike will make it handle like shit. I am 5'6" and lowered my R6 2" and it handles great. And by great I mean awesome. Granted I have an 05, but I can't see an 08 being any different. Get some frame sliders.
Here is a link for a lowering kit and adjustable kick stand on $50 (good deal) Might not be for an 08, but worth a call.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/693022516.html

If you lower it you will have to either cut your stand down or buy an adjustable. I just cut a little out of mine and welded the base back on.
After installing the lowering bone loosen the trip clamp and slide the handlebars down until it feels comfortable. with a 2 inch drop you should slide the bars down on the forks until there is about 2 inches of forks above the trip clamp.
Congrats on the bike you got a good one. And take it slow there is no rush.

Also buy leather. Gear is our friend.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info. I've check on ebay but there are no lowering link for 08 but one. Only drop 2 inch and it's not adjustable. Trust me I'm taking this really slow. looking into slider kit now. But I"m thinking if I lower the bike I might not need a slider kit.
again thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey im new to the forum as well and i have really wanted to get a bike for a while now. i live in memphis and was just wondering where you got your r6? ive been looking to get an r6, a cbr600 or a gixxer and was wondering if you had any suggestions too. I really like the r6 and found it to be the most affordable of the set so any information yall could give me would be a huge help.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts