Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals just picked up my new 08' R6 last Sat.:toocool: I'm very excited and have many question. First of, I'm new. When I say I'm now I'm talking about never been on any type of 2 wheels in my entire life. I'm 25 B-day was May 20 so it's a gift from myself to me. :party
A little about myself:
5'5" :YEA
140 lbs
own 5-6 speed car all my life.
Live in memphis
Here are my question:
Lowering the bike. Being an 08 I did a search and didn't find any on 08.
Which/where can I get a lowering link. I know many will say "don't" I have been doing a little reading and are aware of the negatives of lowering. I don't ever go to the track, not a really twisty lover rider, just like to ride. Love the look of the R6 so please don't make comments like "the r6 is not the bike for you then" because it's too late.
Protecting gear: Both for me and the bike. I know for a fact that the bike will fall. Will fall many time for that matter. So what can I get to protect myself and the bike.
I understand. I know I will and have to take it slow. So far, I have put 1 mile on the bike. Most of it I didn't even use the gas. I just let the torque do the work. Top speed so far 12 mile/hr. So when I say I'm takeing it slow I mean slow.
Thank you.
oh. first mod.... spend Sun. morning cutting into the seat. So it's done.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Forget cars its a track bike.
You may go n it, but will take you years to not be a pssenger. better getting a years experience or more on something user friendly.
You'll crash just using tourque. thats why they have gears and revs.
Your choice but its your wasted money. Chances are you can sit and look at it or just wish you had bought something sensible.
I overtake guys like you on my scooter most days! Thats sad

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't believe (as some) that dropping the bike is part of the learning process. It isn't. Dropping the bike is mostly due to stupidity and not inexperience in my personal experience and my motorcycle club's.

So here's the first thing you do. Get registered at MSF class. It's the best thing you can do for yourself and you will pick up thousands of small pieces of advice that will accumulate in to something that will make you a solid rider.

Gear: Jacket with padding, must be CE approved armor. I'd go with leather.
Boots, don't get the "harley" boots but something more streamlined. You want to get your toe/foot in and out of the gear shifting fast.

Gloves are probably the easiest. Most of the motorcycle gloves will protect you. Go in and go for the comfort (venting perhaps).

And pants? I would go with the pants that have knee pads and are severely durable (leather, certain type of mesh, etc...).

And last but not least, a decent helmet (DOT approved).

·
Registered
458 Posts
^^^wow that was useless miki.. I have no idea about a lowering link but I'm sure someone could help you out on that.. for gear I wear a minimum of boots (timberlands), heavy jeans, jacket with built in back shoulder and elbow protection (joe rocket I think it was like 150 maybe) gloves (get some good ones I saw a guy hit the pavement two weeks ago and shredded through a $30 pair of joe rockets (the seams failed). and obv a helmet. for the bike I just have frame sliders+barends..welcome and good luck with the new bike.. and good call with the msf course I prolly would have killed myself without that

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks ethics I'm planing to do all that and more. I'm not saying I will crash, but just in case. To the other people thank you too. I'll make sure to get out of your way when I see your scooter behind me. What part of I don't race do you not understand.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jm. what about that compleat slider set they sale on ebay? would that work $120 its not bad if it going to save my bike.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sliders are excellent piece of equipment. Get them. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Forget cars its a track bike.
You may go n it, but will take you years to not be a pssenger. better getting a years experience or more on something user friendly.
You'll crash just using tourque. thats why they have gears and revs.
Your choice but its your wasted money. Chances are you can sit and look at it or just wish you had bought something sensible.
I overtake guys like you on my scooter most days! Thats sad

mikiboy:

for someone that recently joined and only has 4 posts your extremely judgemental.

My first bike = R6

Did I fall? Yes

Will 99% of ALL bikers expirienced or not fall at some point if have not already fallen? YES

R6 is not this scary monster that people make it to look like, sure its less forgiving then a ninja 250 or a suzuki gs500f, but it sure as hell is NOT a scary bike.

Take it easy on the throttle and dont go over YOUR limits, trust YOUR bike because YOU should control the bike, the bike doesnt control YOU(contrary to what miki made it look like)

And as for my closing statement, to make you feel more comfortable about falling... ive heard this saying plenty of time and time for me to say it:

There are those who have been down, and there are those who WILL go down. Just a matter of time..

As for you eclipse, even if your NOT racing, shit happened, gravel, oil, etc... they are all obstacles in your way. Be safe, be smart, look a couple of seconds ahead of you.

Panic = leading cause of an accident, if something happens, be sure not to have stuck on target fixation, you look where you want to go, relax, keep a clear head, and you will be fine, or at least 10x better then you would be paniccing.

p.s. sorry for the :flame flame :flame miki, but before you say something, thing about what your saying...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you r6w. You really made me feel welcom. I've been on many forum from team2g, Rx8club, now R6. It just seem like there are people on here just waiting to shoot someone down with their smart comment. I know what I got myself into when I pick up the bike. I just can't help being the hight I am. I just need a few pointer that's all. So to all that given real tips. THANK YOU.
To other that make short smart a$$ comment. Congrat. your post count just went up 1. Good for you.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It just seem like there are people on here just waiting to shoot someone down with their smart comment.
HA! Forums are nothing in comparison to real life situation where people try to goad you in to some dangerous things. Gotta learn to ignore and concentrate on what's important. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just a few to add, when you take the MSF course DONT use your own bike because you will have to do things that are much easier on the little 250's and then after you pass you can pratice on your own bike.

I am about the same size as you, at first i wanted to lower mone to but now very happy I did not. As the R6 is probley not the best starter bike, it can also be very mild mannered until you get up into the power band so it is not the worst choise ether.

So good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Happy birthday man.

Your first order of business is to LIVE in parking lots for the next two weeks learning your circles, figure 8's, starts/stops and emergency braking. If you drop it, don't worry, most people do, just get comfortable on it before you head out into traffic, it will save your life.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's funny how you talk about parking lots string. Behind my house is a school, so when I get off everyday it's like a dead zone in there. Lucky for me I guess. Picking up my gear today. Thanks all I'm really excited.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I purchase them any way. I can't see giving the dealer 150 of two peice of metal with holes in them. Any how when I'm use to the bike, I will take them of and put stock back on. Oh... for all those who advise me to take the class. I just sign up for June 20 class. thanks again

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am not slagging people but I train learners in UK. My R6 is a track bike. i have a tame ZX6 for the road. Again its not a beguineers bike.
I see it all the time in UK, folk buy fast bikes and they get into top gear and wow, the accleration blows their minds so they end up off line in bends, cant brake properly, or use the engine properly to slow down. The bike often scares them and I have to admit that a few are man enough to admit they made a mistake and have bought less focussed bikes and are now happier and still want a sports bike but not just yet.
There was a test recentlt with a guy who had been riding an R6 which he bought after passing his test.
1 year on, he was sent around a course. The course was a mix of fast starights, bends and tighter straights and bends. After doing the course on his R6, he was then put on a GSX650 or something similar. The bike is much less sports focussed. he went round about 4 seconds quicker on his 1st attempt as the bike is easier to ride and control.
Over here, most bikes dont crash, they get dropped when someone comes to a standstill, moving the bike in the garage or parking in a carpark.
You can take what I say with a pinch of salt or not but it always amuses me the arguements against what I say, and many others here too.
I joined here mainly to find out what i can do with my bike to make it work better. We dont have a dedicated R6 forum over here.
Keep it upright guys

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Miki, I'm sorry if it sound like I snap on you. You have to understand that not all of us have to money to spend $6000 or $4000 on a bike so that we could get comfortable to riding before you move to a bike that we want. Honestly I'm 25 and no kid. I don't want to be like 27-28 have a kid and then go out a buy a sport bike. At that time to be honest I don't even want to take that type of chances. I understand what people are talking about when they say R6 is not a good bike for newb. But understand just be cause you have a 400 hp car does not mean you use all 400 hp. Most of these super car running around here are driven by men that never see 100 mph.
I've have taken all the safety precaution possible and that wy I'm asking all these question.
Any how thank you for you advise and I will do my best to be safe.

·
Registered
206 Posts
follow my incredible instructional steps lol:
1. get the bike
2. sit on it dont start and and just learn to balance on it
3. unlock the steering but keep key on off position, foot drag it around a bit
4. get a slider kit(frame, spool and bar end)
5. start it up and learn to ride in some parking lots
6. when you feel comfortable take it on the roads

Bonus: take a MSF course too.

7. After you get expirience on the roads, take the highway, dont let the wind get you nervous, I got messed up by it alot at first.
8. Practice your cornering by riding as much as possible and learning each time
9. Try to get a track day to get a feel for throttle play, braking, and get better at cornering
10. Be aware of your surroundings, avoid target fixation NO MATTER WHAT... unless there is a hot blonde flashing you, then fixate your ass off AFTER YOUR STOPPED lol(happened to me once at a red light... i was so happy, ah good times, only lasted for about 10 sec tho, light turned green.)

Big Bonus: Have fun, your free, occasionally call your friends "CAGERS"

haha.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts