Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had my wheels powder coated and was trying to get the rear wheel back on the swing arm yesterday but couldn't get the rear brake caliper on.
I put the rubber blocks in the left side with the hub and sprocket on top; I'm thinking that the hub probably isn't seated deep enough but I couldn't get it to slide in any further and as it is.. If I add the brake caliper the whole thing is about 3 millimeters too wide to fit between the swing arm.

How do you make it fit? Or how do you seat the hub back into the wheel?

Attachments

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
are you sure you have all the parts installed in the wheel ? there are parts just for the inside of the wheel and cush drive. then there are 2 outer spacers with plastic dust seals (that can be taken off the spacers). If you are missing one of the inner hub spacers (like the long tube, or the collar that rides inside the bearing) you will squeeze the swingarm together more than it should go..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking through the center hole it looks like there's another quarter of an inch that the cushdrive hub should slide into the rim in order for the insides to line up flush with the bearings. This would also give me the room I need to fit the wheel with the caliper between the swing arm. But I can not get the hub to go down any further. I''m pretty much jumping up and down on the damn thing but it's seated as far as its gonna go.. Won't budge in any further.

I thought maybe since The powder coating guy painted the inside maybe that could somehow be causing it not to slide in further so Iwent at it with the sandpaper andscrubbedtje inside pockets wheretherubber cushions go and tried again but it's just not wanting to go in the rest of the way.

I'm totally perplexed right now.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
post photos as he said, but not just of the cush drive in the wheel, but of the parts laid out left to right. spacer ring, cush drive, inner collars (2 of them) that are in the wheel, wheel, right side spacer collar.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
post photos as he said, but not just of the cush drive in the wheel, but of the parts laid out left to right. spacer ring, cush drive, inner collars (2 of them) that are in the wheel, wheel, right side spacer collar.
Indeed. I'd like to see how far he is getting it in there though. I really wonder if he doesn't have the caliper bracket misaligned somehow.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took these photos real quick before heading off to work. I'm going totakethewheel off again when Iget homelaterthis eveningandtry again. But I think the issue is the hub on the left side not getting down into the rim enough. In the picture you can see it isn't flush with the rim.

Thanks guys.

Anybody in LA available to come help me out this evening? I'm getting desperate. Taking Uber to and from work is getting expensive!

Attachments

·
Yamaha 4 Life
514 Posts
But I think the issue is the hub on the left side not getting down into the rim enough. In the picture you can see it isn't flush with the rim.
Yea, looks like you dont have the sprocket pushed all the way into the cush drive.

You can usually use a mallet to gently tap it into place.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've tried tapping it with a mallet, wiggling it with all my weight. Is it usually so difficult to get it all the way in? I can't get it to go any further than it is right now.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Yeah, that doesn't look right at all.

Maybe you are putting the rubber parts from the cush drive back in wrong. They straddle the raised parts on the wheel. It should look like this: (this isn't an R6, so the bearing will look different)

If that isn't it, you have something else out of place. A spacer or something. Take everything out and put it back in according to the manual and parts diagram.

On a side note, I found this awesome thread while looking for pictures of a cush drive:
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136485

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
as some said, that cush is NOT on all the way. lightly spray some wd40 on the rubbers before you push the cush on.

also, are you SURE you have the bearings back in the wheel??? most powder coaters want them out, or take them out.

as i asked earlier, are you sure you have the 2 spacers in the wheel? one small one goes in after a 5" or so tube that goes inside that "spaces" the brake caliper side wheel bearing, and the collar that goes in BEFORE you put the cush drive on.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@rc51. Shit! I put the rubber parts in the other way with them in the pockets and thehubslidimg between the two blocks!

I finally got the hub in after a lot of banging on it with the mallet and had a friend come by to help meet the chain on because I don't have a rivet tool.

But I didn't put the rubbers in the correct way. Should I leave it as is or take it back apart? I really don't want to have to take it back apart again. :(

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
@rc51. Shit! I put the rubber parts in the other way with them in the pockets and thehubslidimg between the two blocks!

I finally got the hub in after a lot of banging on it with the mallet and had a friend come by to help meet the chain on because I don't have a rivet tool.

But I didn't put the rubbers in the correct way. Should I leave it as is or take it back apart? I really don't want to have to take it back apart again. :(
ok.. you put the rubbers in the wrong way.. and you wanna leave it like it is? you can't do that. not understanding this statement, did i not read it right?

·
Vendor
3,956 Posts
There's nothing really to take apart... The sprocket just pulls out, fix the rubbers, slide sprocket back on and reinstall the wheel. Really OP this is the best possible "problem" you could have had with the easiest solution.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts

Take that shit apart and put it back in correctly. It will probably be really hard to get the sprocket carrier back off since you stupidly pounded it in with a hammer. Take a hammer and a long 2x4 and tap it out from the other side of the wheel. Put the 2x4 up against the sprocket, and hit it on either side of the hub. DON'T hammer on the bearing in the middle through the axle hole.

If you are lucky, the rubber parts aren't broken. If they are broken, purchase new ones. If they are broken, congratulations, you just made a $90 mistake. Just be glad you didn't break anything else.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ya the Cush literally slides in. I'm confused as to how you have it backwards? Please do show pictures when you take it back apart. I always look at it as if I need a hammer, I'm probably doing something incorrectly. Definitely fix it....it will take 1 minute to get the wheel off. Maybe one minute.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Ya the Cush literally slides in. I'm confused as to how you have it backwards? Please do show pictures when you take it back apart. I always look at it as if I need a hammer, I'm probably doing something incorrectly. Definitely fix it....it will take 1 minute to get the wheel off. Maybe one minute.
He put the rubber parts in backwards.

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Good advice. If you ever find yourself about to hammer something that isn't supposed to be hammered, stop. Take a breath. Take a second look at what you're doing. Look at some diagrams.

Hopefully the rubber pieces aren't broken. If they are, spend the money on new ones and consider it a payment towards your education in motorcycle maintenance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts