Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The track is crack.
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing the Vortex rearsets, and I noticed there was no return spring for the brake pedal. (You would think for almost $300 they could include a cheap spring, anywho) I bought a Graves Rearsets Rear Brakes Return Spring for $16 here:
http://www.indysuperbikes.com/product.php?productid=3117627&page=1

I ran into trouble when I tried to remove the nut that attaches the master cyclinder to the brake pedal. There is a rubber nipple or grommet, and I tore it open. Not badly, but there is 1 hole and another tear on the opposite side shown here:

Here is my question: What does this nipple do exactly? Is it only to protect the inside of the master cylinder from getting dust and dirt inside? Or will brake fluid actually leak out? I pressed the brake a few times after hooking it all up, and nothing came out.
It doesn't look like I can just buy the nipple, I would have to spend $50 to get the "8: CYLINDER KIT, MASTER". I would also have to take apart the whole master cylinder to install it.
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2009-yamaha-yzf-r6-black-metallic-x-yzfr6yb-rear-master-cylinder/o/m144681sch596153
#8 shown here

I was thinking of just putting some epoxy on it to plug the holes. Any advice is appreciated.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
you can use some "SHoe Goo" to do a backyard repair on that hole on the rubber seal. You need that to seal so water and dirt doesn't get up in there.
No, it won't leak brake fluid, and as posted above you do not need an additional return spring that gets mounted outside (that you get from graves for more return pressure).

If you look at that diagram, there is a spring at the top of the parts #8 kit, that goes into the bore of the master cylinder first. Then there is the first of 2 rubber plunger seals, then the piston, then the 2nd rubber plunger.. these small rubber plungers are what seal inside against the bore of the mc, much like an engine piston ring. If those get damaged, THEN you leak brake fluid out.. but get some rubber gasket maker, or shoe goo (buy at walmart in the shoe department, great stuff for fixing mx boot soles that come loose) and repair the hole in the outer seal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts