Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Complete writeup hopefully by the end of the week.

The first two (other than mine) should be done soon, and I ordered a ton of LEDs and wire, and am offering up the labor to those here on the boards.

$50 - plus $10 for shipping. $60. You send me your pegs, I will install the LEDs, all wiring complete, you just have to hook them up and reinstall the pegs. I ordered a bunch of LEDs, wire, and will prolly start building teh resisters for the blink rate as well.

If you are interested, let me know! I figured I would hook up my peeps here first, then maybe venture out to eBay...LOL

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess those with high mounts would have to tell me...can you see the rear of your peg?

I use these as supplimental turn signals, and for the cool factor :) I have the UFO as well. As for "legality" you would have to check your state. Some require Amber LEDs. If I do enough of these, I will stock both, Red or Amber.

I don't know why anything with more light, more visibility wouldn't be legal tho...

·
Registered
456 Posts
That's nice...Is it solid light or is there anyway where hookups to brake lights would be possible to make it brighter when brakes are applied?

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey 04...first off, dude, shrink the Avatar! :)

and, I know that i can wire a relay into the line to work with brake lights, I need to mess with that a little bit first to get it working right, so yeah, I am sure it can be done, just need to figure it all out first.

As for making them brighter for brake, that would take circuits...and well, that is a pain in the ass, and costs too much! But, a blinker and brake is possible, maybe, i think...

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
i didnt even think about the "leagality" of it all, i was plannin on useing em to replace my blinkers. i think ill still do it, till some cop gives me a fix it ticket, then ill change. hey Yoda, how hard is it to splice into the rear blinkers? what did you do? maybe i should wait for the write up before asking questions?

·
Yamaland
2,309 Posts
I'm likin it alot. My led tails integrator kit came in today, so I'm gonna ride around for a little bit with that, but I may be in for some of these in the near future to add on. Looks sweet.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hey, I'm very interested. I ordered by BF highmount today, so if someone on here lets us know if it's all good with that then I'm down. Couple questions, so they are off all the time, until you turn the signal on? How bright are they, as bright as a brake light, or regular light? (I had some LEDs once that were way to weak to see during the day). I have an undertail, with the turn signals built into the tail light like an integrator, how would that install go about...guess if you don't know and it didn't work I could always ebay them, but still I like the idea a lot. Let me know. If you have any more info, or more pics even let me know at [email protected]

Thanks!

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
yoda said:
Hey 04...first off, dude, shrink the Avatar! :)

and, I know that i can wire a relay into the line to work with brake lights, I need to mess with that a little bit first to get it working right, so yeah, I am sure it can be done, just need to figure it all out first.

As for making them brighter for brake, that would take circuits...and well, that is a pain in the ass, and costs too much! But, a blinker and brake is possible, maybe, i think...
yeah, shrink the avatar - try searching for GIMP and use that to make it smaller... :roll:

yoda: if your going to look into this, see if there are any ultra bright multi color LEDs if not, I think your best bet would be to use a 2nd set of LEDs in the other color for brake lights. You could wire it up with a relay that would cut the power to the taillight LEDs when the blinker LEDs would blink.

·
Yamaland
2,309 Posts
I thought they were just for turnsignals and not brake lights. That would be fine with me. But I guess lighting up when your hittin ur brakes would be cool too.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For starters, right now on my bike, I only have them as blinkers, since I have the UFO kit and use the STROBE for my brake, I figure you don't see anything else. haha Once I get a few "extra" of these, I will start playing with some options. I am buying a few rear pegs off eBay so I can practice with different ideas. LEDs are brighter when closer together, so I want to mess with different patterns and such. Mine can be seen in the daylight, but not like the tail light integrator...then again, different LEDs and lens patterns....

As for the LEDs, most places you go to buy them (Radio Shack, etc) are 15* and 30* LEDs, meaning they have a 15 or 30 degree pattern of light. That is why so many LEDs you have to be directly in line with to see them. Those are the more intense LEDs, but, how often is someone is the same spot behind us? I ordered the "Ultrabright LED" with a 45* viewing angle. The company I buy them from has about every color available, so I will look into the E/O bicolor LEDs (either / or).

I have a "kinda tested" relay layout already for a "brake and blinker", it works with bulbs, so it should be the same for the LED setup, its just going to be about the resistance to trigger the relay. As for colors, I am sure that I can get it to blink Amber, and go RED for brake, but it will take some R&D first! lol

As for wiring, I just tapped my stock 2-wire set up. I will send you instructions with the pegs when I send them back, but it is a standard 2-wire, ( + / - ) setup. I will provide some wire taps to use. Also, if you are removing BULBs with LEDs, you are ridding your blinker circuit of almost all resistance, so you have to ADD resistance to make the relays "blink". I will sell the resisters to do that as well. (still need to get those from UPS, should be any day)

I have a few other ideas kicking around, so maybe one day, I can get about 4-5 setups to choose from...but like I said, for right now, just turn signals in RED.

Thanks guys/gals!

·
Registered
487 Posts
My brother-in-law put those on his Kawi. Looks great and makes it easier for people to see his turn signals.

He rides in St George UT. Retirement community. Lots of old people. Bad for bikes. Bright blinkers good.

·
Yamaland
2,309 Posts
I'm definitely in for a pair when you get it straightened out.

Let me know when you want me to send you my pegs, lol.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, if you want RED LEDs and blinkers only, send em! :)

Shoot me a PM. I will prolly order AMBER LEDs next week.

·
Yamaland
2,309 Posts
I'm thinkin I'll wait for the amber LED's to go along with my led integrator taillight kit. I'll check back on this thread or post when you have the amber ones and I'll order 'em.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I went to radio shack and bought all the materials needed except for the LED's

What voltage, MCD rating and type of LED's did you guys use for the led pegs?

I saw they had 2.6v, 10 MCD Red lense LED's, but i'm not sure if that MCD rating would be bright enough for people to see the signals. Also, is it better to get the clear lense, red LED's? They didn't have many of those, just the Red lense LED's

I saw some on ebay that are 1000 MCD rating, I don't want them to blind people either when making a signal.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

thanks!

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DKode said:
I went to radio shack and bought all the materials needed except for the LED's

What voltage, MCD rating and type of LED's did you guys use for the led pegs?

I saw they had 2.6v, 10 MCD Red lense LED's, but i'm not sure if that MCD rating would be bright enough for people to see the signals. Also, is it better to get the clear lense, red LED's? They didn't have many of those, just the Red lense LED's

I saw some on ebay that are 1000 MCD rating, I don't want them to blind people either when making a signal.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

thanks!
The LEDs I am using I doubt can be found at a Radio Shack. I order them from a LED manufacturer.

They have a 280 MCD rating, and a 45* viewing angle. Which to me, viewing angle on a bike is more important than straightline intensity. Voltages just depend on how many LEDs in series, how much resistance is needed, and that sort of stuff. You can't just say you need a 2.0 volt LED or a 2.6 volt or a 1.7 volt. Just need to know how many, how they are being configured, what combined voltages, source voltage...

Simple Scenerio: if you run 6 2volt LEDs in series, on a 12volt system, you don't need to add a resistor. If you use 4 or 5, you will be over driving the LED and must add resistors, but again, the size depends on many factors.

To answer your question about MCD:
There is no definitive answer. A millicandela rating is determined by an on-axis measurement of peak intensity at a specific current, not by measuring total light output. Since the light emitted by a diffused LED is spread over a wide viewing angle, the on-axis value may actually be less than a non-diffused LED from which all light output is concentrated in a narrow beam. Thus the total light output of a 20 mcd LED may be greater than that of a 100 mcd LED though the on-axis reading is less.

Q. Does a 200 mcd LED appear twice as bright to the eye as a 100 mcd LED?
A. No, but it will appear somewhat brighter. The eye can detect an increase or decrease in light only when its intensity is doubled. In applications that use many LEDs in close proximity, the intensity of the devices should be closely matched to provide visual uniformity. A good rule to follow is: the dimmest device should be no more than half as bright as the brightest LED. Greater disparity is detectable as bright and dim spots.

Also, RED housing LEDs (RED epoxy) can actually block some of the RED light being emitted from the diode. Going clear is the best way to make sure that isn't happening.

All I can say is experiment. Actually hitting the voltages and such is more important to the life and brightness of the LED, adding the correct amount of resistance, if needed, and location. I have been through quite a few LEDs and such to find what I like to use.

As for blinding the drivers, I would. I want to be seen! :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
just for everyones info:

I bought 10, 800 mcd, 1.7v
5mm 40* wide angle clear lense red led's from radio shack,

product number: 276-302

i just need to get a resistor for the whole thing. I am trying to find a resistor calculator right now where I can find the right type of resistor to use,

any advice on getting the right resistor?

thanks

1 - 20 of 194 Posts