Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posted a thread a while back about my rear brake rotor getting excessively hot without being used. I ordered another rear caliper mount and caliper (bike was in a really bad wreck before I bought it). The rear brake lever spring is pulling the pedal back up fine so no need for the extra master cylinder spring. I thorougly cleaned the pistons, bought new seals, bought new rubber caliper boots. I lubed the seals, pistons and caliper slide pins. I have the tire centered perfectly on both sides based on the rear tire adjustments hash marks.

The rear rotor is brand new.

Before I installed the new caliper mount and caliper I installed new pads on the existing mount and caliper. Wear was very odd on the pads.

So I am now left wondering if the swing are is slightly bent thus causing the rotor to not ride straight between the pads. Tire wear appears to be even.

I have ordered a straight swingarm that I am having powdercoated so I guess I will find out soon enough.

Would a faulty master possibly be the culprit? I have not rebuilt it yet.

·
....Casper....
720 Posts
take the pads out :popcorn:

·
Reads the rulez
2,247 Posts
My guess is your [lack of] foot positioning, and you're resting your foot on the brake pedal rollin' down da roadz...

·
Just lean harder...
884 Posts
Check to make sure the plastic vent ring is in the reservoir, It should be under the cap sitting on top the black rubber diaphragm seal. If that is missing the brake fluid expands when it gets hot and the reservoir can not vent causing the caliper to increase pressure.

·
Reads the rulez
2,247 Posts
Yea, that attitude will get you a lot of help. :nono
I was going to ask what chafed his ass, but then I remembered the problems he's having with his bike, so I assume the excessive heat coming from his brake probably caused it. :D

I was actually being serious about the foot positioning thing...

·
Living The Dream
3,797 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So tell me how the following answers "remove the brake pads" and "engineering" are remotely constructive. Only one person on here actually was nice enough to help. I really don't understand some of you on this forum that make make a point to act like docks when some puff it's are actually seeking advice. Being a smartass really doesn't set well with those that actually need help. Karma will serve you well.

·
Reads the rulez
2,247 Posts
No.

Again, serious question. There's so many squids/street riders/people might that not know any better on proper foot position. I see dudes ALL the time riding around with their heels on the pegs. This leaves the rest of the foot resting on the rear brake pedal...essentially dragging the brake ALL the time. That would sure as hell heat up the rear brake.

Are you riding with the balls of your feet on the pegs like you should? What's your foot position like?

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,695 Posts
foot position is something to check and be aware of..
but put the bike on the rear stand. Spin with wheel and push on the brake pedal hard a few times. Repeat this a bunch. Is the wheel hanging up considerably ? a little drag, from you spinning by hand, isn't a problem. but are you having to push the wheel with some force ?
Also.. when you do push on the pedal hard, the caliper should pretty much not move. If you see it twisting a bit when you go on/off, something is bent, like the caliper bracket (but you said you replaced that and pins, and the caliper).

you don't have the fluid resiviror (spelling) past the "full" line do you?

still not convinced what you think is "hot" for the rotor, is really all that hot considering the exhaust pipe is right there, and there will be a small amount of pad drag on the rotor.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you - I will check my foot position more carefully - never thought of that. May be enough foot pressure to be making the pads drag,

Fluid level is good. Caliper barely moves when brake is pressed and wheel spins freely - some minor drag but can get a few rotations on it. Also never thought of the exhaust being a factor. I have ridden it before without even using back brakes and it would burn my fingers.

Next outing I will make sure peg is on ball of foot as opposed to back of my foot.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
do ya have one of those $25 infra red thermal temp guns ? check the rotor when you come back from a ride.
I do. I will go for a ride this Friday with proper foot placement and not use the rear brake at all to see what we get and update thread .

Dropping off other swing arm for powder coating this week so if it is still doing it after all these corrections then I will just have to live with it.

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,652 Posts
stock rearsets? return spring present? And your foot should be nowhere near the brake pedal unless you're braking.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have woodcraft rearsets and return spring it's functioning perfectly. It may very well be my foot positioning.

I have a graves rear master retturn spring assist that I probably will add for greater resistance until I break myself of my bad habit of foot positoning in case that is the culprit, which the more I think about it...it most likely is the cause.

Thank you all once again for your assistance and insight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.