Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have happened before I owned the bike. It is obvious that the left bearing, or 'collar' as it is called in the Yamaha parts diagram has locked up and spun against the swingarm. And the sprocket bolts have dug in as well. You can see in the picture that the bolts look fine, and I can tell you that the bearing feels perfect. I really think this happened before I bought it. What slightly concerns me is that the gouges look clean and fresh. The bike rolls and rides quiet, smooth, and perfect.

I'm curious how this could have happened, and has anyone seen this before? It almost looks like there should be another spacer between the collar and the swingarm, but the diagram shows that what I have is correct.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
That's crazy. I would guess that a previous owner installed the wheel without the spacer and caused that damage. The sprocket carrier was probably replaced.

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree its crazy. How could someone have rolled it, much less ridden it like this? I can't see where it will cause any problem now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know on the r1, if u put the right side spacer on the left side and vise versa, the rotor bolts hit (even tho they counter sunk, the still scrape some) not sure how it is on the r6 tho.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Maybe someone installed it without the spacer in there at some point. If the sprocket carrier was up against the wheel, you might not have problems right away. Then once you get moving, the thing slides around on the axle and lets the sprocket studs and nuts rub. I just don't get how someone would not hear that.

Normally, I would say "just run that shit", but it is hard to tell how deep that gouge is from the picture, and you never know how thick the material is there. The biggest issue I have is that a failure right there could lead to a crash very easily. Better safe than sorry, especially with how cheap swingarms are.

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got another swingarm, but the gouges, although they look bad, aren't a structural problem. It's a track bike, so I'll just rattle-can paint it. I'm just wondering how it happened.

·
Flying Finn
71 Posts
I've got another swingarm, but the gouges, although they look bad, aren't a structural problem. It's a track bike, so I'll just rattle-can paint it. I'm just wondering how it happened.
I can see a severe structural damage on that swingarm... Bolts have hit and eaten away some weldings so structural strength is gone.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Spacers on the wrong side. I've done it.

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,667 Posts
The threaded parts that the sprocket bolt attach to (can't remember the name) can and do sometimes loosen up and back out and hit the swing arm. Saw it happen on 2 r1's. The po may have had this happen and just replaced the threaded rod and not the swing arm.

·
Registered
484 Posts
It doesn't take long for that to happen if you forget to put the spacer in or have them backwards. Do not run that swingarm; replace it. There's no way that would even pass tech if they noticed it.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
The threaded parts that the sprocket bolt attach to (can't remember the name) can and do sometimes loosen up and back out and hit the swing arm. Saw it happen on 2 r1's. The po may have had this happen and just replaced the threaded rod and not the swing arm.
Studs.

It doesn't take long for that to happen if you forget to put the spacer in or have them backwards. Do not run that swingarm; replace it. There's no way that would even pass tech if they noticed it.
That is a pretty good way to decide if something is okay to run.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.