Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Just passing through.
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was curious if someone could help me out on this one.

I've bought another chain/sprockets combo to put on the bike and I wondered about the rear sprocket studs. Whats the timeframe/mileage/feel for changing those out. I have a new set of sprocket nuts to go on it already, so it would be a good time if they do need to get changed.

:cheers

thanks in advance!

·
Got street appeal?
1,656 Posts
Until they break... When do you change the studs on your car? Every 4th tire rotation or set of tires?

Studs don't stretch like a bolt. If you run a bolt into a part, the bolt stretches the whole part that is threaded. A stud is only stretched where the nut lies.

The nuts "should" be replaced every time.

·
Registered
925 Posts
^^^ What he said....

I had to replace one of mine a few years back cuz it stripped out and the nut just spun, but all the rest are original with 204k miles and "a few" chains and sprockets, lol. That's the only reason you'd need to replace them though, otherwise they're good to go. The nuts are lock nuts, which is why they tell you to replace those, which isn't a bad idea but not entirely necessary either

·
Just passing through.
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, thats what I've thought all this time, but, its the 3rd sprocket/nuts going on so... figured I'd ask just to make sure.

thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts