Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently running a Driven 520 pitch 45 T rear on my 2006 R6 track only bike.

I am heading down to the Australian mecca of tracks next week
Phillip Island so planning on leaving this set up as it is a fast track with only two slow corners.

I usually ride at track called Sydney motor sport track in Eastern creek , I marshal for free track time with a rider training group called Top Rider , we usually run our events on the souther loop
pictured below in red a short track with quick direction and altitude changes .

I am after more punch out of the corners , top speed is not an issue as the short staright is only around 170 kph .

50 t or 47 t sprocket change for the rear
Which would you use and how many extra links will these use.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
It's hard to say because I have never been there and aren't familiar with the corners, but with it being a shorter track you just want to make sure you aren't stuck between shifting points on the straights and through the turns and keeping it within the useful powerband.

I frequent only "short", technical tracks with -1/+3 gearing sometimes and it helps keep it within the powerband instead of dropping below the torque curve in slower corners and then timing it right on the straight to not over-rev a gear at the braking point or have to up-shift only to begin braking almost immediately after choosing the gear. This all also depends on your pace and how well you drive out of the corners. I would say just get a -1/+2 which will be closer to a 50 tooth and go from there. If it's too much then put a 0/+2 on, so you'll have both a 47 and "50" tooth option to mess around with. You might need to add one link.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Mott
I have my eye on an eBay 48 T it is steel though so apart from weight any issue swapping from alloy ?
The chain and front sprocket are relatively new so hopefully this won't be an issue.

I have a friend who has offered me
-1 front sprocket he has as a spare.

I know this will increase RPM through the gears.
so a technical question :
Will a front +1 have exactly the same result as an increase in rear teeth ?
Will the force of leverage on the rear wheel be similar and will the front wheel be as likely to lift ?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have steel and aluminum sprockets I often interchange with no issue, so you should be fine as long as you take care of the chain properly. Having a -1 in the front sprocket is equal to about +3 in the rear; so if you have a -1/+2, then it's about equal to having just a 50 tooth rear sprocket with a stock front sprocket. Also, if you have a 190/55 or 180/60 rear tire then you'll want to add one tooth to the rear since it has a larger diameter and affects your final drive as well. So for instance, a -1/+2 on a 180/55 and a -1/+3 on a 190/55 is roughly the same final drive ratio.

In case you're not familiar with this website, Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator is a great tool to narrow down your options and select/compare gearing based on top speed of each gear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts