Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Chi-Towns Finest
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im new to riding my r6 (only ridden about 15 times)....and im having this problem with locking the rear tire when coming to sudden stops. i am aware that the front brake needs more pressure than the rear brake, but for some reason i seem to slam the brake similar to a car. is there any techniques or tips you guys can give me to help this problem. i have had the read tire lock up and slide to the right or left a few times, and it is not a pleasant experience lol.

Thanks

·
It's a lifestyle
155 Posts
Stop locking the rear tire.

If you feel the rear has locked up then let off the rear brake.

Focus more on the front brake but give attention to both.

·
Registered
917 Posts
it just takes time, I'd practice using just the rear brake and you can feel at what point the tire will lock up. Remember your stopping power is 80% front brakes and 20% rear brake

·
best used over 10,000rpm
269 Posts
Some poeple use the rear brake alot some dont.
Im one of the latter, changed pads when i got this bike 1 year ago, the rears still look like new, lol.

Remember everything on a bike, is the smother the better, so not jumping on the gas, jumping on the brakes, be progressive with everything.

·
Chicken Strips Sold Out
473 Posts
If you are not confident about the rear, and want to use them, just apply it lightly.
I know coming from cars, things can get confusing first couple of times.
I remember frist time I went on a bike (Coming from a manual car), I tend to stall by slamming in to first on the left leg.
Ofcourse the bike jumped alittle and stopped, but then I realized that the clutch was the left hand and not the left foot....LOL

Apply it lightly and get used to it little by little.
The pressure you give on the rear brake inversely related to how hard you are stopping.
Beacuse if you have all the weight in the front, you will lock up the rear even if you are light on it.

Practice makes perfect!
Good Luck

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
Stop locking the rear tire.

If you feel the rear has locked up then let off the rear brake.

Focus more on the front brake but give attention to both.
Generally when coming to a stop if you lock the rear keep it locked until you stop as letting off on the rear has the potential to high side you or make the bike unstable increasing the braking distance. This is why in the MSF they tell you to keep the rear locked if you apply to much rear brake

If you have to release the rear brake after the rear tire has locked make sure the rear tire is in line with the front tire if not you will be in for a wild ride.

The best thing you can do is go into a parking lot and practice braking over and over until you get a feel for it. Also if your brake lever does not feel comfortable try adjusting it.

·
Just A Spray Away
288 Posts
Get a slipper clutch and down shift.

·
Ride for you, not others.
229 Posts
Generally when coming to a stop if you lock the rear keep it locked until you stop as letting off on the rear has the potential to high side you or make the bike unstable increasing the braking distance. This is why in the MSF they tell you to keep the rear locked if you apply to much rear brake

If you have to release the rear brake after the rear tire has locked make sure the rear tire is in line with the front tire if not you will be in for a wild ride.

The best thing you can do is go into a parking lot and practice braking over and over until you get a feel for it. Also if your brake lever does not feel comfortable try adjusting it.
+100

·
Captain Save-A-Ho
744 Posts
You should use your front brakes first. If you need more stopping power then that is when you lightly apply the rear after you engage the front brakes. Our bikes are not like bicycles when using your back brake to slide is cool. You can if you have more experience, but generally speaking your not suppose to. Some or most people don't even use their rear brakes. I think the MSF course teaches you this and if you read some articles on the basic it is mention too. I make a habit of using both sometimes just for the experience and feel. I even used it in/before turns at times, nothing too crazy though. However that takes a little more experience.

Since you are asking this question I'm going to think your not aware about down shifting from 2nd to 1st at high rpms. Don't do it. Anything over 4-5k are chances for back tire lock ups. This is only for the 05 and below or ones without slipper clutch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts