Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the track for the first time. It was fun. The only thing that bothered me was that a couple times coming into this curve where I had to brake quick and then downshift before entering the back tire screeched and lost traction.

Was I just not getting the Rpms low enough? I thought I was but there was so many things to think about and do that was all new.

I'm guessing this was the slipper Mitch engaging and preventing the wheel locking because I didn't match Rpms. I just think it's strange it only kept happening in this one turn.

What did I do wrong?

·
I really like my toys.
46 Posts
You are not rev matching when down shifting. The engine has to "jump" to compensate for this delta when you downshift. The force is immediately being transferred to your back wheel locking it until the rest of your drive train catches up.

If you are 10k RPM in 3rd and downshift with no rev matching and no "ease in" to the clutch (basically letting the clutch burn and take the hit until the RPMS line up) your rear wheel will lock once you release the clutch. The engine is still going 10k RPM but now your gear box is in second, where the gear ratio in the transmission dictates that the revs should be higher for that gear at that speed.

Long story short - learn to downshift and rev-match (at any gear at any speed within the engines tolerances). You will either blow your engine or go down after locking your wheel bad enough..

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
Stay off the rear brake. Rev-match (blip). And learn to enjoy that bit of traction loss, as long as you aren't leaned over at the time. :surprise:

·
~Faster Than Lightning~
1,025 Posts
Easier to work on the clutch release for now until you're able to properly Rev-match. Something else you don't really think about once you get used to. Be careful out there. Hope you had fun on your first rodeo.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
I went to the track for the first time. It was fun. The only thing that bothered me was that a couple times coming into this curve where I had to brake quick and then downshift before entering the back tire screeched and lost traction.

Was I just not getting the Rpms low enough? I thought I was but there was so many things to think about and do that was all new.

I'm guessing this was the slipper Mitch engaging and preventing the wheel locking because I didn't match Rpms. I just think it's strange it only kept happening in this one turn.

What did I do wrong?

On which bike? This smells like a cast! :grin::grin:

·
Registered
25 Posts
you werent using the rear brake were you?

what year is your r6?

I have come flying into some turns, hard braking, down shifting and never really had an issue with my rear tires sliding around on my 06' R6r. Maybe it gets a little swag in the rear, but nothing like what you are talking about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts