Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of my R1's have had factory suspension settings/components then I got hooked on track days….an enclosed trailer, track prepped R6 and as much cow skin as a dairy farm...now I'm very interested in suspension tuning. Track bike= 2007 R6r beut, it has stock forks and shock. Its obviously had some suspension tuning done, judging by the "suspension tuning by ….." stickers on the forks and shock. I don't remember who it was done by and I took off the stickers because I thought they looked dumb. I had the bike at mid ohio and Mark Junge (I think his name, owns mcjmotorsports) took some preload out of the front end for me. We also did the zip tie on the front fork trick. When I was unloading the bike after that track day I noticed a significant different in the height of the rebound screws. As it turns out I had about 13 clicks difference in the adjusters. :jacked The only thing i can think of is the PO started to adjust them and his ADD kicked in. I don't feel that bad because Mark knows what he's doing and missed it:jacked Anyhow, long story short I crashed a couple times, changed tires (old race tires don't stick, it hurt finding out) and now trying to sort out some suspension issues. If you made it this far, my question is just how bad would the handling be if the rebound was say for instance 13 clicks off between forks?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool vid, thanks. I like the "its very important in terms of safety to have the adjusters in the same place" part…or your bike rides like a three legged baby elephant with an inner ear problem. Im looking forward to having the suspension where it should be.

·
Registered
28 Posts
13 is a big difference. We will fine tune with a click or 2 of difference between legs. We run different spring rates in each leg sometimes to get the exact rate we want also. Forks will work properly with different spring rates and compression/rebound in each leg if the valving is set up for it. Ohlins Cart kits have all of the rebound in 1 fork leg and all of the compression in the other. They forks work together and the valving is built to flow that much fluid in 1 direction.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
^^ that.
any differences in comp/rebound/spring rates are just averaged .. so if you have 5 clicks out from full stiff rebound on one leg, and 15 out on the other.. it's basically like having 10 clicks out on both legs. Spring rates too. It's just an average. 1.0 on one side, and .90 on other is .95 spring rate. So is having .95 and .95 ..
The axle is a fixed to both fork legs, and the legs are also clamped (in the triple clamps). All working together, the front end doesn't care if the clickers are the same or not. typically you do run them the same each side though to not get confused.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lots of great info, thanks! So it seems its not as big of an issue as I first imagined, but it also doesn't seem advantageous to have the rebounds set drastically different. Im trying to learn as much as possible so bear with me…I have another question. I put a zip tie on the fork at the track, is there a range of fork travel that I'm shooting for similar to setting up static sag? I read the stickies on the forum but didn't see anything on this. And if so, would you use this measurement over the static sag measurement? I can start a new thread if need be, I know its a different issue. You guys are awesome thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rebound and comp wont average out as nicely as mismatched springs but its not the end of the world. The fork legs will work as one.

We set sag as a basic starting point and never really look at it again. We are looking for about 1/4 inch left of travel at the bottom of the leg. Different tracks, riding conditions and laptimes will change that and we make adjustments as needed. We respring depending on all of those conditions as well. We may have the correct sag number with an 85 spring but the rider is hard on the gas out of the turn so we respring to keep the back from squatting. Same on the front. I have a 90 pound rider running a .90 spring in the forks because of the way he brakes/trailbrakes. Sag isnt necessarily correct but we have met the riders needs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts