Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time doing my own mechanical work on motorcycles. I have good knowledge of small engines and have done quite a bit of maintenance on cars but this 03 r6 seems very foreign to me.

I'm about too tackle valve adjustments after taking it too a shop and being bent over all to find out the valves are maxed out on shims. I also want to get ignition timing back to spec as well as possibly getting the head milled. Any help would be awesome. I do have a manual but I find experience from others far outweighs the manual in terms of learning.

Right now I'm just doing simple fixes until the end of riding season, as I live I'm Wisonsin. Ran into my first problem though, was gonna clean the exhuast header but snapped off head bolts about an inch from the head and wondering what the cheapest most effective way is to get then out. I really don't want to drop the engine 1 because of my limited knowledge but also want to know if I can still ride it to work for the time being?

·
Registered
2009 YZF-R6
16 Posts
I'm a computer guy by trade and was able to swap out my blown R6 motor with a junk yard replacement. You wouldn't believe how pleasantly surprised I was when it all worked.
What I learned, watch lots of you tube, label every connector/thing you take off with painters tape, and take lots of pictures. Took about 3 evenings to get the old motor out and 3 more to get the new one in.

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
View attachment 377359
I'm a computer guy by trade and was able to swap out my blown R6 motor with a junk yard replacement. You wouldn't believe how pleasantly surprised I was when it all worked.
What I learned, watch lots of you tube, label every connector/thing you take off with painters tape, and take lots of pictures. Took about 3 evenings to get the old motor out and 3 more to get the new one in.
That's awesome, I luckily have the motor working it just needs some work and I'm an electrician so the wiring has been going good it's just the mechanical stuff that gives me a little trouble lol. And I have a transmission curse every motor I've owned is alway transmission or drive shaft that goes, so I got my fingers 🤞.

I'm trying to get these broken header bolts out and it hasn't been going well.

·
Registered
2009 YZF-R6
16 Posts
View attachment 377359
Not exactly sure how to get the header bolts out, heat with a torch first and try some serious pliers. I will recommend a good impact driver for the future and everything else you have to take off. 😁 I used a Ryobi from HD and it removed everything with ease. Good luck!

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 377359

That's awesome, I luckily have the motor working it just needs some work and I'm an electrician so the wiring has been going good it's just the mechanical stuff that gives me a little trouble lol. And I have a transmission curse every motor I've owned is alway transmission or drive shaft that goes, so I got my fingers 🤞.

Not exactly sure how to get the header bolts out, heat with a torch first and try some serious pliers. I will recommend a good impact driver for the future and everything else you have to take off. 😁 I used a Ryobi from HD and it removed everything with ease. Good luck!
I have an impact but whoever had the bike before me over torqued the bolts and they are old and don't have any sort of end for backing out they are just rounded.

·
Registered
2009 YZF-R6
16 Posts
Torch and pliers...

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The one silver one is new, the one I got out lol.
Torch and pliers...
That's the only one I haven't tried....better go get the torch lol. Thanks for the link, I like how all the methods are compiled and I haven't herd of the torx bit method so that was awesome. I'll get em out one way or another 😜.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So In the previous pics on this thread you can see the condition of my headers. I took a little sandpaper and polish and this is what I got them too so far.

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So In the previous pics on this thread you can see the condition of my headers. I took a little sandpaper and polish and this is what I got them too so far. View attachment 377386
Update on the exhaust header bolts have only gotten 4 of them replaced I drilled out the other 4 with success except the rear one on the #1 exhaust now has a snapped off tap in it and a small coolant leak....fml. advice please and thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts