Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
I named my dog Rossi.
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a reliable and quiet generator for 1 pair of warmers. Everyone and their mother recommends the Honda EU2000, but I just can't afford to throw down $800+ on one. My budget is about $400. Any solid recommendations?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Take a look at the top rated ones on Amazon. Even if you don't want to buy online you'll at least be able to see how people rate them.

·
i want 2 ride......NOW!
361 Posts
yup.......craigslist
find a deal on a Honda

plus they're idiot proof to work on,

I'm certified on them and its a joke :lmao

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
i know you say your budget is $400.. but everyone and their mother says "EU2000" (or the yamaha 2k model that is similar price) for a reason.
they are QUIET.
COnsider this.. it is the one thing you will use the entire day while you are at the track.. ALL day, every time you are there. How many sets of tires will you buy? how many mods and other $$ upgrades will you do to your bike? is your sanity (and those around you) really worth $400 extra? This is a ONE TIME purchase hopefully. these things HOLD VALUE too. That $400 geni you buy? A) will be lucky if it lasts a few seasons B) if it does last, you might get $50 for it at a pawn shop.
The EU2000 regularly go for $600+ USED. I have had mine for 6 years, i don't use it every time, as i have an eu6500 as well, but it is stone reliable.. and i love how quiet it is.
This topic comes up on other roadrace forums all the time.. the "you will use it every minute of every trackday" is somethin to consider.

·
I named my dog Rossi.
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like I'll be saving up for the Honda, the high resale value is what convinced me. Probably pick up a used one off eBay or Craigslist if one pops up anytime soon. Thanks guys.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Looks like I'll be saving up for the Honda, the high resale value is what convinced me. Probably pick up a used one off eBay or Craigslist if one pops up anytime soon. Thanks guys.
i love the "eco mode", that has it run only as hard as a draw requires. Instead of running wide open all the time, it will idle down if your just running a fan with the warmers on low or off during lunch. You can switch it to "WFO" too, but that eco mode is cool.
i can run 2 sets of warmers, but get one set cycling on-off up to temp before plugging another set in. All 4 at once i don't think will work unless you have TyreSox brand or something (they are only 800wt i think vs 1200wt like chicken hawk).

·
Registered
26 Posts
An alternative to the inverter generators would be to come up with some type of enclosure for one of the louder generators. Maybe just a wood box without a bottom that you could set over the generator with some small mouse holes for exhaust to escape and cables to come out? I'm not sure how effective this would be but it would at least be a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Set it behind your vehicle with the exhaust going the other direction. I don't see any reason why this would be too loud.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I can run my bickle warmers on my Yamaha 1000 inverter no problem.... $500 from kijiji, only used for one season. I'm on my own so don't need a second set/2000 either.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Set it behind your vehicle with the exhaust going the other direction. I don't see any reason why this would be too loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX2xvGYn5ao&feature=related
i would buy lunch every day for someone pitted next to me, that took the time to fab up and bring along a huge soundproofing box for those crappy loud generators. yes, way more ideal if ya have a loud/cheap genni. but ya still need to take the time to make one up, and drag it along every time you go to the track, and store it when not at the track. Sadly, most do not fab one of those up, they just get the el-cheapo loud genni and make everyones life miserable they park it next to
yea, quiet inverter honda or yamaha generators are not cheap.. but what is your sanity worth?

·
Registered
507 Posts
and the el cheapo generator will last you a few weekends before you blister your hands from trying to start it again.

Take it from someone who started with the cheap route: save and spend a little more for a Yamaha or Honda. You can service it yourself or bring it to a powersports dealership and they'll do it for you for a reasonable price (very easy to work on).

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
and the el cheapo generator will last you a few weekends before you blister your hands from trying to start it again.

Take it from someone who started with the cheap route: save and spend a little more for a Yamaha or Honda. You can service it yourself or bring it to a powersports dealership and they'll do it for you for a reasonable price (very easy to work on).
in many years of service, i have never had my honda generators not start.. ever (eu2000, eu6500. ). i use fuel stabil when not gonna run them awhile, the eu6500 has a fuel shutoff so i flip that switch, then let it die out. Make sure to turn the key to "off" .. :) left it on and had to use the pull start next time as the battery was dead .
Gotta love the eu2000 compact size, you can carry it with one hand like a suitcase.

·
Parts Pimp
26,461 Posts
i know you say your budget is $400.. but everyone and their mother says "EU2000" (or the yamaha 2k model that is similar price) for a reason.
they are QUIET.
COnsider this.. it is the one thing you will use the entire day while you are at the track.. ALL day, every time you are there. How many sets of tires will you buy? how many mods and other $$ upgrades will you do to your bike? is your sanity (and those around you) really worth $400 extra? This is a ONE TIME purchase hopefully. these things HOLD VALUE too. That $400 geni you buy? A) will be lucky if it lasts a few seasons B) if it does last, you might get $50 for it at a pawn shop.
The EU2000 regularly go for $600+ USED. I have had mine for 6 years, i don't use it every time, as i have an eu6500 as well, but it is stone reliable.. and i love how quiet it is.
This topic comes up on other roadrace forums all the time.. the "you will use it every minute of every trackday" is somethin to consider.
Even more important than it being quiet is the fact that it's STEADY constant electricity that maintains a relatively uniform voltage and frequency.

My last set of warmers fried because the electricity being sent to them was a different voltage than what they were designed and tested with. It screwed up the whole ECU on them and had issues turning off and on, etc.

Those loud generators put out a HUGE range of voltgae when running. I have hooked up an multimeter on AC and was SHOCKED to see it fluctuate more than 20 volts in either direction on my cheap 900 watter from harbor freight. But shit yea, 2 of em got me thru over a week without power last year.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
The budget generators are loud as $hit. I'm always super-annoyed when someone pits next to me and runs their loud generator all day.

I've got a Yamaha EF2000i and it rules. I even run it to power our RV because it's so quiet and easy on gas it makes the expensive RV generator seem like a beast:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/products/modelhome/626/0/home.aspx

I ran my EF2000i for close to 15 hours off a gallon of gas.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
The budget generators are loud as $hit. I'm always super-annoyed when someone pits next to me and runs their loud generator all day.

I've got a Yamaha EF2000i and it rules. I even run it to power our RV because it's so quiet and easy on gas it makes the expensive RV generator seem like a beast:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/products/modelhome/626/0/home.aspx

I ran my EF2000i for close to 15 hours off a gallon of gas.
15hours off a gallon? nice! are you using eco throttle for a set of warmers?

the Honda 2000i is tits. i couldn't justify buying one much pricier but did it and haven't looked back. got it at a pawn shop for $650 out the door!!!

maintenance is easy! changed my oil two days ago and washed the air filter.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
15hours off a gallon? nice! are you using eco throttle for a set of warmers?
That was running it for the RV. TV, battery charger, etc. Never measured fuel over long use of warmers, but I'd suspect I'd get a track day out of a gallon of gas without a problem. It's pretty good once the tires are warm.

Miller has power EVERYWHERE, so that's usually what I do. Generator if I'm at another track or bumped out to the sticks in the paddock.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
Sadly, most do not fab one of those up, they just get the el-cheapo loud genni and make everyones life miserable they park it next to yea, quiet inverter honda or yamaha generators are not cheap.. but what is your sanity worth?
I'm with you. Pretty damned annoying having to shout for a couple days straight because some wailing generator is right next door. Also remember, if you bring family or girlfriends to the track with you, your life will be much better if you make them comfortable. :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts