Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the plug that connects to the rectifier I have a burnt red wire... what would cause that to burn... does it go directly to the battery via the fuse box...wondering if i can bypass it... BTW it's in a 2001 r6
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use the search or read the part in my 02 thread in my signature. The plug burns up. The stator could be fried too. I replaced the plug with female spade connectors. You can buy a new plug from regulatorrectifier.com if you want also.


:YEA
so if its just the plug burning, did the spade connectors ever burn after that...also, i'm thinking it might not matter where the white wires go...they all are just running juice to the rectifier...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
when you replace the spade connectors, solder the wires to the spades. That's problem #1. Problem #2 it where the harness connects to the rectifier. Use di-electric grease liberally here. You shouldn't have any further issues. A lot of guys get the Rectifier from a newer model R1 and I haven't heard a single complaint or issue after they make that swap
 

·
Mr. HER6
Joined
·
2,084 Posts
Yea, the white wires are all the same, just out of phase. So it doesn't matter what order they go. The important thing is to replace the bad wiring with good solid connections, and make sure they are at least as large as the stock stuff. It's a good idea to test out the stator and rectifier too. One may have crapped out and could be the root cause of the overheating connector.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, the white wires are all the same, just out of phase. So it doesn't matter what order they go. The important thing is to replace the bad wiring with good solid connections, and make sure they are at least as large as the stock stuff. It's a good idea to test out the stator and rectifier too. One may have crapped out and could be the root cause of the overheating connector.


i am replacing both the stator and rectifier even though the one's in there tested ok by the procedure in the manual...what a pain to get the stator out...just thinking if its the wire in the plug going bad..what is making it do that...
 

·
Mr. HER6
Joined
·
2,084 Posts
There's a lot of current that flows through there, and when there is not a good contact across the connector, or the wire has degraded, the resistance goes up and creates heat. You don't notice anything is wrong, so it keeps getting worse until it's bad enough to melt and cause some symptoms that you do notice.

It's a very common failure, especially on bikes where the load is pushing the capacity limits of the wiring that is used. And on older bikes too where it has degraded just due to age. I had it happen on my GSXR where the stator and rectifier were still good, I just had to replace the harness between them and some of the wires.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top