Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, kind of new to this forum stuff but the pain became great enough as to where i actually need some help. So i wired in a integrated tail and flush mount fronts and bike seemed to be running great for a couple days then i went to warm up my bike to ride home and while it was running the lights got dim and the battery died. Charged up the battery and made it home. So last night i pulled my tank off and checked the rectifier and one of the wire plugs is all burnt is wiring new connectors into this easy? And also does anyone think i have a related problem with the blinkers burning out yhe rectifier or did i just get unlucky? I have an 2001 r6 btw and i appreciate any help

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Your aftermarket lights are not related to that. Just coincidence. Fixing the wiring is not hard. You just need to crimp or solder on new terminals, and maybe add in some extra wire so it's long enough. Inspect the wires by the burnt connector and cut out any damaged areas.

It's up to you if you want to use oem style harnesses or get other ones. I'm not familiar with your model, but on my GSXR those harnesses were common failure points so it was best to use something more heavy duty. You can even skip the harness altogether and just solder the wires together to minimize the chance of a poor harness connection. But the obvious downside is you won't be able to disconnect them in the future. The important thing to prevent this from happening again is to make sure that your new wire, connectors, and especially any crimped/soldered connections are at least as good as the original. Poor, or too small connections will just overheat and do the same thing again.

While this was likely caused by poor connections, it may have been related to a failing stator or regulator/rectifier. So before you fix up the wiring I suggest testing both. See this writeup:
http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/diagnosis-center
The diode testing guide explains how to test the R/R, and on the lower part of page 2 on the fault finding guide it explains how to test the stator.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Your aftermarket lights are not related to that. Just coincidence. Fixing the wiring is not hard. You just need to crimp or solder on new terminals, and maybe add in some extra wire so it's long enough. Inspect the wires by the burnt connector and cut out any damaged areas.

It's up to you if you want to use oem style harnesses or get other ones. I'm not familiar with your model, but on my GSXR those harnesses were common failure points so it was best to use something more heavy duty. You can even skip the harness altogether and just solder the wires together to minimize the chance of a poor harness connection. But the obvious downside is you won't be able to disconnect them in the future. The important thing to prevent this from happening again is to make sure that your new wire, connectors, and especially any crimped/soldered connections are at least as good as the original. Poor, or too small connections will just overheat and do the same thing again.

While this was likely caused by poor connections, it may have been related to a failing stator or regulator/rectifier. So before you fix up the wiring I suggest testing both. See this writeup:
http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/diagnosis-center
The diode testing guide explains how to test the R/R, and on the lower part of page 2 on the fault finding guide it explains how to test the stator.
Mark, do you know a place where you can buy just the electrical plugs from the wiring harness? My R1 has a busted connector for one of the turn signals I keep meaning to fix, but have no idea where to source just the connector.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot man i forgot to add something that might be omportant only the ground slot is burnt out on the harness plug idk if that makes a difference or not cause i heard of other wires burning out and also wanted to mention i spliced the two ground wires together from oem blinker harness but never grounded it to the bike could that be a problem? Still new to this forum stuff so i might have said the same thing in an email sorry if you got the same email i thought ot would post here too

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Mark, do you know a place where you can buy just the electrical plugs from the wiring harness? My R1 has a busted connector for one of the turn signals I keep meaning to fix, but have no idea where to source just the connector.
For stuff like that I go to this place called MarVac Electronics. Looks like there's one down in Costa Mesa, not sure how far that is from you. The pins are relatively common, so you should be able to find a match for the OEM stuff. If you need the entire harness you might have to just get something similar and replace both ends.

I don't know about online places though. Since I've always just needed a couple pieces it never made sense to buy online and pay shipping.

Thanks alot man i forgot to add something that might be omportant only the ground slot is burnt out on the harness plug idk if that makes a difference or not cause i heard of other wires burning out and also wanted to mention i spliced the two ground wires together from oem blinker harness but never grounded it to the bike could that be a problem? Still new to this forum stuff so i might have said the same thing in an email sorry if you got the same email i thought ot would post here too

I now realize you're talking about the R/R output harness, not the input. But that doesn't really change anything. I'm a bit confused about what you said about the blinker harness. The ground is coming from the harness, so it is grounded to the chassis. I assume you did something because there are 3 wires on the harness and 2 on the aftermarket blinker? That's because they double as running and flasher lights. The aftermarket stuff is flasher only, so the other wire simply isn't used. Either way, if you created a short there, the fuse for that circuit would pop and isolate it. And those little wires would melt way before the one on the R/R.

I didn't get any message, so don't worry about whatever you think you sent. :laugh

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im talking about the female connector right into the rectifier only the ground slot is burnt. So is there no specific reason why its just the ground basically is what i mean and about the blinkers... the oem blinkers have five wires two of which are the blinkers which you wire into after market light then there are two black grounds and a blue which was running lights i believe. I killed the blue and twisted the two blacks togethor but didnt ground it to the bike just trying to figure out if that caused a problem by not grounding it to the bike.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
I think I understand what you're saying, and no it wouldn't cause this issue. The ground being the only one fried on the rectifier isn't really significant.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay thanks alot for all your help and patience haha. I hate electrical. One last question should i spade connect the wires on my rectifier or should i just put on a new one? is there a way to tell if its still good?

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
You can do it if you're confident that the connector size you use can handle the current. I really don't know what they need to be rated at, but it carries the entire bike's electrical load, so the small ones definitely aren't sufficient.

How to tell if the rectifier is still good, or the connection? The rectifier test is in that link I posed earlier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts