Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 R6, after the second oil change I got the oil light. it only comes on when I sit a light for a min, chop the throttle hard through a couple of gears, or stand a long wheelie. I have level oil. and no over heating. does any one know what this is about.

·
looking for more curves
1,881 Posts
maybe the oil pump is getting weak... or the pickup is clogged. it would explain the wheelie and hard acceleration... but not so much the standing still.. Too bad you couldn't get an oil pressure gague put on the system, it could tell you if the pressure is low.

When you did the oil change (did you do it or have a shop do it?) did you change the oil filter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was the one that did the oil change. I made sure that the filter got warm. and the light stayed on at first turn of the ignition a little longer than normal. and I thought that means that the pressure is up.. I was thinking that it could be a oil sending unit. but not for sure..

thanks for the reply ,, let me know about any other ideas

·
Registered
118 Posts
Common problem on the bikes. It is the low oil sensor. My friends 00 r6 does it all the time. If you know it is full just ignore it. He has for over 5k miles with no problem. Try checking the plug the sensor plugs into see if it is rusty or not making a good connection. if it is try replacing the sensor if it bothers you that much. sorry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya know the light doesn't say if it is a low oil press or low oil. it just pops up red and the oil can on the digital speedometer flashes. but I still ride and when I pull off I check the oil. but thanks for the rapid response. l love that bike and I too don't like lights that aren't supposed to be there. but if it means not riding and paying someone that doesn't care for it like i do then I will troubleshoot myself. I'm new to the forum and I thank all you for the reply.s keep em comin...

·
Registered
118 Posts
mine did it a few times. I would warm the bike up before i leave. i would take off and about 1/4 the oil light would come on. poped it in n killed it pulled it over. looked it over. no leaks. checked level. seemed alright and went on my way. did it 4 more times untill i changed the oil. hasent happened since. oil must have just been a little low.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.