Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
My 1st bike is an R6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what the benefits to using this product are. Its gonna start getting warm out and was just wondering if this product is a must have or not. Thanks

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Prestone 50/50!!!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you're on the street, 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water.

On the track, distilled and water wetter for corrosion resistance.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Here's a mechanic tip, never buy 50/50 mix coolant. Same price as concentrate but you get twice as much.

Water wetter and distilled water, normal coolant, engine ice it's all the same thing and none make the bike noticeably cooler. I use water wetter bc it's cheap and track approved

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
As stated above, water wetter and distilled water for the track. It will not prevent freezing, so its better to stick with antifreeze if you are not riding track.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
If you're on the street, 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water.
On the track, distilled and water wetter for corrosion resistance.
um you realize when you mix coolant that rich...that its not the most effective for cooling efficiency? Glycol retains heat.
You mix your coolant according to your local climate. Hotter more humid areas get a much less concentration of glycol. (like 15-30%)

Also distilled & water wetter are not going to help with corrosion resistance. Some race orgs do not want ANY glycol in your cooling system, but that does not mean your cooling system will experience max service life or work effectively. I have a couple of suzuki water pumps Ill gladly give you that failed after a season of water & addititive only.

If youre in a climate that freezes...than 50% or more glycol would work. Just dont go starting the thing up until warmer temps are normal.

·
Registered
437 Posts
um you realize when you mix coolant that rich...that its not the most effective for cooling efficiency? Glycol retains heat.
You mix your coolant according to your local climate. Hotter more humid areas get a much less concentration of glycol. (like 15-30%)

Also distilled & water wetter are not going to help with corrosion resistance. Some race orgs do not want ANY glycol in your cooling system, but that does not mean your cooling system will experience max service life or work effectively. I have a couple of suzuki water pumps Ill gladly give you that failed after a season of water & addititive only.

If youre in a climate that freezes...than 50% or more glycol would work. Just dont go starting the thing up until warmer temps are normal.
Water wetter is approved for track use by almost every org out there. Never ran into anyone who had a problem with corrosion while running it, but I've talked to multiple people who stopped having problems once they switch from pure distilled to distilled/wetter.

Agree about the ratio of glycol to water based off climate, just didn't see the need to explain it. Never seen a problem running 50/50 in even 100+ degree temps on the street though.

Edit: Also, both water and glycol retain heat, but water is more efficient for heat transfer.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
water wetter exists solely because certain racing and track day orgs require that bikes not use standard glycol-based coolant.

i think that the good things about using distilled water and water wetter are that the bike might run a little cooler and there's not as much mess to clean up off the track if you crash. but water is missing things that condition your cooling system that regular coolant comes with.

my advice; stick with regular coolant, preferably from a pre-mix bottle, unless you're riding on the track. even then, resist the urge to swap until you absolutely must...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Water wetter is approved for track use by almost every org out there. Never ran into anyone who had a problem with corrosion while running it, but I've talked to multiple people who stopped having problems once they switch from pure distilled to distilled/wetter.

Agree about the ratio of glycol to water based off climate, just didn't see the need to explain it. Never seen a problem running 50/50 in even 100+ degree temps on the street though.

Edit: Also, both water and glycol retain heat, but water is more efficient for heat transfer.
For years there was always folks that came to bike week...sitting in traffic that saw 240+ temps because of rich mixed coolant. All my new bikes saw dramtic decreases in operating temps from a simple coolant dillution change. Its one thing to race or ride with plain water and additive but users shouldnt be suprised when they start seeing corrosion or seal degradarion when they dont use glycol based coolants.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts