Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently had the wire in the ignition switch break where it is soldered so I had to remove the bottom plate and re-solder it. To do this I had to take off the whole upper clamp and drill out the screws off the bottom of the igintion plate. I went to the local Yamaha dealer to order new srews and they were at a loss.... The screws are some kind of safety screw that once torqued to a certain lbs, the head breaks off. The same type of screws are used to mount the ignition switch to the upper clamp. Anyway I was able to find a used one that was attached to the upper clamp on Ebay with key for $62 shipped. Anyone know where and how to order these bolts? I will take pics of the one that I took off to show you exactly what I am talking about.

·
Crashing Sucks!
118 Posts
You don't have to have the exact bolts. I used hex head m4 or m6, I can't remember but it doesn't really matter. You are just holding the switch to the triple anyway. Those special bolts are not going to keep anyone from stealing your bike so save the money and go to Lowes.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
you can also drill out the hex head once you get them back in if it makes ya feel any better. You'll just have to drill the bolts again if you needed it off again.

But I agree with Crash.....

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know im digging up an OLD thread here, but I have just got a new triple clamp to replace the scratched and paint flaked old one I have. But I have come to the point where I need to remove the ignition. How is it best done to get rid of those bolts, the ones without head - tamper proof bolts.

I am at a loss and figured some people on here have obviously done it before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts