Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is just 1 screw on both sides that my buddy cant get to on his 08 R6. Its the only thing we cant get out to remove the damn fairings. I dont see anyway to get to it.

Any insight? There has to be a way.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
well, you could use a sawzall or ball peen hammer.... or just look in the service manual. But then I am the smartass with the 08 who hasnt tried to remove his fairings yet. if you are trying to change the oil and filter, fairing removal is not necessary. Check the 06-07 oil change sticky thread in the how-to's....

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
if it is the same screw i am thinking about you cant and dont need to get to it, you need to lift up on the fairing and pull it towards the front of the bike. have any pics?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if it is the same screw i am thinking about you cant and dont need to get to it, you need to lift up on the fairing and pull it towards the front of the bike. have any pics?
This screw looks like it holds the 2 fairings together and then it also holds them to the bike. Thats what it looks like anyways. The screw is facing towards the inside of the bike (towards the engine) so there is no way to get a screwdriver to it. The only reason we know its a phillips screw is we can get our finger on it and push hard and it leaves a phillips head mark on your finger tip lol

So what your saying is unbolt everything and just lift the fairings and push them towards the front of the bike?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
O I C...well, good luck. I have a sawzall if you need....:nocontrol

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O I C...well, good luck. I have a sawzall if you need....:nocontrol
Not sure what a sawzall is going to accomplish, you wouldnt even be able to get it in there, if we could.....we could then we could get a screwdiver in there.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have an 08 also and both times I have taken off my both fairings I just remember the main screws and nothing about a philips screw anywhere. I may be confused though.

It should be like 3 bolts and one fastner. That is if it is an 08r6 not an S. Look in the owners manual it will show you what bolts and fastners to remove.

Remember the fairings need to be pushed foward and then pulled straight off. They will not come off unless they are pushed all the way foward clearing the slides.

Good luck!

·
Knee dragger in training.
548 Posts
READ THE ****ING OWNERS MANUAL!! There is a detailed section in the manual on how to remove your fairings. If you don't have the manual you can download it from Yamaha's website in .pdf format.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
READ THE ****ING OWNERS MANUAL!! There is a detailed section in the manual on how to remove your fairings. If you don't have the manual you can download it from Yamaha's website in .pdf format.
J/C man! take it easy. reading directions translated from japanese to english probably doesn't come across as well as reading it ORIGINALLY TYPED in english from a fellow rider that has actually done this.

gp1300r had it right... leave that screw alone, pick the outer/lower "unit" up and gently "move" it towards the front of the bike. it's a HUGE p.i.t.a. compared to the 06/07 models, but once you get it, you'll be home free... and trust me, you'll NEVER forget how to do it again.

fwiw... me and GP did this exact thing to my neighbors '08 two weekends ago, and it took us about 20-30 minutes, and 2-3 beers a piece to figure it out. once we figured out how it was being "held together" it was easy to get it off

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
for those that cant take a joke...well, sorry about the sawzall thing. First thing to remember here is to take your time and be patient or you will break that damn little tab.

+1 on reading the manual. the owner's manual sucks balls, so get yourself the service manual (yeah, its scratch, but worth it). you might be able to find it online, but being an 08 I doubt it.

Remember, deep breaths and patience...and learn to take a joke.:poke

·
Just Burnin Time
2,219 Posts
its the plastic phillips rivet you are talking about that holds to the radiator right?

Use a stubby phillips and tunn it a 1/2 turn but allowing it to pop outwards at the same time.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
ur probably talking about the one towards the top behind the little "shark fin" of the mid fairing. u need to slide the whole lowers/mid forward and they pop off. if u pull on the very front point, it makes it easier.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is a bolt that is stubby an offsized compared to the others (there is only one this size), where does that go again? I got my fairings on but I think I have a bolt on the wrong spot because the stubby short one isnt fitting where Im putting it.

·
R6'ers B4 Gixxers
367 Posts
I know this is an old thread...but...

I'm going to attempt to do this tonight. I'm installing some flush mounts and some sliders. I ran into this "bolt" last night and was like...WTF! Good to hear that you don't have to remove it to take the fairings off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts