Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Track addict
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have the tank and airbox off to work on some winter mods, I thought I may as well swap out the spark plugs.... I've read every tutorial I can find.... but still am not clear on how to get the hard plastic heat shield off the '99 R6.

I can't get the damn thing out, the hard plastic one under the flexible rubber heat shield. Best I can tell, its anchored by 2 plastic "things" that I don't know how to get loose....(hmmm don't know what they're called) to the 2 tabs in front, just behind the radiator... but don't see an easy way to get them out... I was thinking I may have to pull the radiator, or at least loosen it up to lower a couple inches, but the right side phillips head screw holding the radiator on doesn't want to budge, and looks like it wants to strip...

Sweaty, sore, and tired of cursing at the damn thing...

Help!

·
She wants me to twist it!
882 Posts
I know what your talking about but I cant remember how I got it out. I think i just ended up ripping the plastic rivets out. Needless to say that piece didnt go back in when I put it back together!! Wish I could be more help.

·
Track addict
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah.... I have no idea how to get them out.... I tried prying with a flathead screwdriver, but they didn't budge and I didn't want to break anything...
Why oh why is everything so hard to get to on this bike? :(

·
She wants me to twist it!
882 Posts
They might be the ones that you have to pry out the center piece of the rivet then pry the outside up after the center is popped out. Ill check my book tomorrow and see if I can give you any more help.

·
Track addict
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would make sense....its a flat black plastic disk, but with a flashlight I can see a round metal center.....They're just so hard to get at.

·
Registered
308 Posts
there are two screwy type "things" on the front corners. Push the center circle thing in with a phillips head the whole way in then take a flat head or needle nose pliar and pry them out. They should come right out. who cares if u break em. they cost like 50 cents for a pack!

to remove teh wires from the zip tie is also easy. Stick a flat head between the tab and pull the one end right out.

hope that helps.

·
Track addict
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there are two screwy type "things" on the front corners. Push the center circle thing in with a phillips head the whole way in then take a flat head or needle nose pliar and pry them out. They should come right out. who cares if u break em. they cost like 50 cents for a pack!

to remove teh wires from the zip tie is also easy. Stick a flat head between the tab and pull the one end right out.

hope that helps.
Yes...very helpful. My flashlight died so I will have to give it a go tomorrow... Do I want to push the middle in from the top, or bottom of the screwy type "thing"?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes...very helpful. My flashlight died so I will have to give it a go tomorrow... Do I want to push the middle in from the top, or bottom of the screwy type "thing"?
you want to push it in from the top not bottom.. Push it the whole way in until it can't go further. Then grab a flat head nad pry at it and it should lift right up. If it doesnt than work at it! put some muscle into it!

then to re install the screwy thingy, u have to pull the middle part out, then stick the screw in the hole... after it is in the hole. Put the middle circle thing back into it and that locks the screw in place.

lol... sry, thats the best i can do.

hmm... i might be able to take some pics for ya.. give me 5 minutes.

·
Track addict
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it! Victory is mine! :YEA
Heat shield is off. Thanks a million!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts