Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Maybe the photo doesn't do that justice, but holy cow I can barely see that. Man you're picky I have three larger ones. Have no experience, but I'd assume that tIny itty bitty widdle microscopic minuscule dents like that, can't really be pulled; they'd have to be pushed out from the other side and needless to say, this is a fuel tank.

Anyway like I said, no experience and haven't even research it for that matter. Check out these videos and let us know which one...

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
886 Posts
Yeah brother, I agree. Leave it. But at least your tank is steel. Mine will probably crack if it gets hit like that.. anyways a body work book from the 80s I have used "pennies" since US pennies can't be defaced to solder them onto the tank dent after brazing a bit of rod to it first. Then use visegrip slide hammer to pop out dent and torch to melt solder and free the penny. Sand solder. Paint.
OBVIOUSLY ALL PRECAUTIONS WORKING ON TANKS OF EXPLOSION RISK APPLY! FULL FLUSH WITH WATER OR PURGE AND FILL WITH PURE ARGON OR NITROGEN BEFORE ANY HEAT OR FLAME OR SPARKS.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I'd better leave it, I'm afraid that the silicone could damage the paint. As much as I will try with a suction cup, I doubt it will cause any effect.

They have already told me that I am crazy, that it is unappreciable. If I practically mean the video of the red suzuki. If I dare, I will tell you the results.

Thanks.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
886 Posts
Suction cups can work on large shallow dents I have seen that before.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Even under the best circumstances, location, pulling a dent on a tank like this would be incredibly difficult.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
886 Posts
Yes pennies to the rescue.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have seen, as a kind of hooks to remove dents.

I thought it would be better than a suction cup, my idea is to pass the hook through the filling hole of the gas tank.

But I could make one myself, if it's expensive.

Regards

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Keep in mind this is a fuel tank....

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
if you don't know how to remove dents you'll end up making it worse. also the tank's very thick. it will be quite hard to remove it especially on a curve like that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Possibly, I would have to think about it before doing anything, I have been seeing the work of this man, it seems incredible, but of course I will have nothing of his experience.

Regards.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
R6 isn't exactly ventage (meaning unique and hard to find) plus black is a somewhat common color. If another isn't found of the same color, could have one repainted. With another tank, would then be free to experiment with the original. Should the original turn out well, would then have the option of selling it to recoup some of the funds. Could buy a tank of any color and only repaint it, depending on how the dent repair goes with the original. But if you're that sensitive about tank dents, would be better to keep the original and rotate it back in. They do not dent easily but life fights hard to keep anything from remaining perfect.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
886 Posts
Yeah, nothing stays new forever. 😂

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Intuit, in the thread of the plastics of AliExpress, a user published some stores where they sell all the plastics, including one for the tank, I think it would be a good option.

Yeah, nothing stays new forever. 😂
Yes, sometimes my head does not understand that the motorcycle is 15 years old, it is quite well preserved, possibly that dent was already there when I bought the motorcycle but I did not realize it, or someone did. Sometimes I leave the motorcycle parked on the street at night in Barcelona.

Possibly try to correct the dent, very carefully, I am very stubborn.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
............... I am very stubborn.
I think we all are... just about different things. It took one downer and multiple close calls for me to quit riding when there's the potential for freezing water run-off on the roads.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
BTW these bikes do age well. Despite over 60k and almost never washed, I still get compliments from time-to-time.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
886 Posts
Shit. I wash and wax my girl every other weekend minimum. Nice a wax only takes 20 mins with glaze time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Search locally for "paintless dent removal" places. There are guys that go to all of the car dealerships and remove dents for them. This is a very common practice, and I don't think it would be very expensive. Less than $100, and maybe half that. The hole in the top of the tank is really pretty small, but the hole for the fuel pump is big enough to stick your hand through, so that's the way to go. Talk to one of them about it, but plan on removing the tank, removing the fuel pump, and at that point I think they'll easily be able to sort that out.

Pretty small thing, but if you want it fixed, that is how to get it fixed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It would also be a good solution, and it would pay more than spending the money on tools that I would doubtfully use again.

But now it will stay that way, since possibly in the future opt for a fairing in the tank.

Regards.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts