Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So now that i got my bike almost back from my crash, there is 1 thing left that I am not sure if i need to repair : Lower triple tree

Basically, as you can see from the picture, the lower triple tree metal piece is broken off. Basically, it should hit the main stay and prevent you from over steering the handle bars. So technically, I can turn right so far the handle bar is hitting the front plastics.

Is this worth going through all the hassle of repairing? I heard trying to remove the upper triple tree is a pain. On top of that, you need to presses to push the rod into the lower triple clamp.

As i see it, this could only potentially over steer during low speeds .....anything pass 10 mph ss all about counter steering right?. What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
I Heart My R6!
392 Posts
I would change it if I were you. It could lead to a possible accident or if you get in another accident it could do more damage. They are on the expensive side though.
I just replaced my upper and lower triple's and its alot easier than I thought.
You don't need a press at all unless you buy a brand new OEM one from Yamaha.
I bought a used one off Ebay for $36 so I didn't have to deal with the whole press thing. It slid it right in, and all I had to do was grease the bearings and do a guestimate on the torquing for the nuts and called it a job well done.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how hard was it to take off the upper triple tree and the bolts on the crown handle? Can you kinda explain what you did in more detail? If i knew what was involved maybe ill shop around and give it a try.

·
I Heart My R6!
392 Posts
First off what year is your bike?
Mine is a 04

You will need a set of stands (front and rear)
Allen wrenches
Floor Jack
Various size metric sockets

First put the bike up on the stands

Remove upper side fairings, front fairing, fairing stay bracket, headlight assembly and all the other misc stuff in between.

Next:
Use the allen wrenches and take all the bolts out that hold the handlebars to the upper triple to remove the clip on's. Just lay them to the side somewhere on the bike, but leave the cables wires etc. hooked up.

I disconnected my brake lines at the master cylinder just to get them out of my way as well. Not sure if you want to do that cuz then you'll have to bleed them out.

Remove the front wheel, calipers etc. and get that all out of the way off to the side.

Loosen lower triple clamp allen bolts (4 total) that clamp the forks and also loosen the top allen bolts (2 total) on upper triple clamp. Yours may vary depending on year of bike.

Remove the forks from the triples and set aside

Next you need a 34MM socket or large pipe wrench. Remove the large nut and washer on top of the upper triple. Remove upper triple

Next you need a spanner wrench or channel locks or a flathead screwdriver and hammer. You need to remover the 2 notched nuts.
Once you break them loose you need to place a floor jack and a block of wood under you bike and jack it up under the headers.
Remove the front stand and make sure it is stable on the jack

Continue loosening the notched nuts until you can get them off then remove bearings, lower triple and your good to go.

Make sure you clean the bearings with solvent or somethin equal then repack with grease.

Reassembly by backtracking what you just did.

If you don't have a service manual then BUY ONE. Def helps alot. If your not sure of things while your doing it be sure to write it down or draw a picture.

I think I pretty much covered everything......

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn.. the first thin i read "you need front stands" I was like shit... No front stands, lol ... rear stands yes... front, no.

Sounds like a pretty big project. Well first things first... Ill see if i can get the parts for cheap then I can maybe see if i wanna do it or just get a shop to install for me..

Thanks for the write up though. Very much appreciated! (oh yeah .. my R6 is 07 btw)

·
I Heart My R6!
392 Posts
Ebay is the way to go if you can get them. Make sure the parts are 100% STRAIGHT with no damage. Check every day because there is constantly new parts being added.

I'm sure you could pick up a front stand as well for a good price.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
You don't need a front stand to do this job. I used a block of wood under the headers and some counterweight on the back of the bike, like stated above. Theres no reason to use a front stand at all if you're just going to jimmy rig it off the ground anyway. I wouldn't remove your brake lines if you can help it. I would just take the master cylinder off the clipon and then take the entire brake system off the bike in one sealed peice.

Its really not a hard job, and the entire process was basically covered. Just a little scary your first time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts