Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to fill some scratches and some cracks on the outer part since I already fiberglassed it from the inside on my track fairings before i get them painted and wanted to know if it's ok to use Bondo (HomeSolutions) All purpose putty or should I be using something else.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
body filler cannot be used to fix any cracks in the outer side of the fairings. if you didn't sand it a bit and fill it in with the resin it will just show as another crack as soon as you pick it up again.

however body filler is perfect for filling in scratches. as for the type use a automotive grade so it can withstand the paints and abuse of being on the bike. that would be my reasoning.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So do u think the all purpose putty will work for the scratches or should I just get an automotive filler?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I fiberglassed the cracks already and was just wondering if ok to use all purpose putty, but from the sounds of it I guess it'll be better to go with a body filler am I right?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the only place you can get the evercoat poly-flex online or are there local shops or auto stores that carry them

·
Got street appeal?
1,656 Posts
Any professional supply company should have it.

You could go with just bondo brand from wal-mart or any local parts place... track bike so that would be the cheap route to go

·
her name is Megan Fox
2,583 Posts
Any professional supply company should have it.

You could go with just bondo brand from wal-mart or any local parts place... track bike so that would be the cheap route to go
+1, ill say it again, go with something called Dyna-glass, or Bondo glass. 14 to 17 dollars at O'Reillys. its fiberglass reinforced body filler.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
the glass stuff isn't for final top coat finishing though. it will be really hard to get just right.
if it's just scratches reg bondo is actually very good body filler. I've tried evercoat stuff(it's made in my city) and to be honest I have better results with good ol bondo brand body filler.

you're going to need a spot filler/glazing putty to fill in pin holes. something all body fillers end up with.

I've got a 3 gal tub of the evercoat quantum 1 stuff. too bad you don't live close I'd give you it to use because I need to get rid of it.
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=294

1 - 12 of 12 Posts