Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone, I am new to this forum. I am a fairly new rider just got my used 02 at the end of August, but have years and years of riding motocross. I ran into several problems. First of all was the voltage regulator prob but spliced a new wire and connector back on, and now have to replace the regulator and buy a new battery. But my main concern is the drive shaft, I took off the cover and noticed that the drive sprocket is welded on fairly good, and was looking to replace both sprockets and put on a new chain. Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to replace the drive shaft, because im gonna have to get the transmission split just to get it out. I have a pic of it here. Any info would be great, thank you.

Attachments

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
who the fcuk would do something so dumb as weld on the sprocket.... Basically, bro, its going to cost you a ton... I would try to grind the weld off first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yah shes been neglected, but got a good deal on it. I plan on keeping it for another season or two then maybe move up to an R1 or a newer 6. I will try to get that weld off within the next few months since winter is starting up here in Canada. If that dont work I think im gonna have to split the tranny and spend the money. :(

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
yah shes been neglected, but got a good deal on it. I plan on keeping it for another season or two then maybe move up to an R1 or a newer 6. I will try to get that weld off within the next few months since winter is starting up here in Canada. If that dont work I think im gonna have to split the tranny and spend the money. :(
I would get out the grinder and grind off that shit slowly so as not to overhead the shaft and its seal. With some time and effort, you shouldnt have to split the case.

·
let her scream
71 Posts
i believe the problem you would run into though is after you got the weld off and got a new sprocket on you would have to reweld the shaft. theres no way the threads are intact which im assuming is why the thing is welded now. personally if you wanna re gear get a chain and sprocket and forget about the front one, go up or down teeth in the back or dump the bike for more than you paid. before you get too much money into the thing like i did.

·
let her scream
71 Posts
oh and from what i can see the sprocket doesnt look too bad. the teeth seem to be pretty wide yet and dont look scalloped at all

·
CCS #164
404 Posts
whoever did that probly welded it so the nut wouldnt fall off... thats one of the problems on 6's. someone forgets to bend the collar of the lock washer and the nut just spins off. this must have been one of those people

·
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
867 Posts
Damn that sucks but like they said, if you're careful, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to grind it off, that weld doesn't ook like it got very good penetration anyways, and if you mess up the threads just get at em with a tiny file, shouldn't be too hard, good luck

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
I would get out the grinder and grind off that shit slowly so as not to overheat the shaft and its seal. With some time and effort, you shouldnt have to split the case.
Fixed it;) Like Red said grind slowly to reduce heat transfer into the shaft and seal. The seals on the countershaft are external are they not? if so mind as well replace the seal when you get the sprocket off.
i believe the problem you would run into though is after you got the weld off and got a new sprocket on you would have to reweld the shaft. theres no way the threads are intact which im assuming is why the thing is welded now. personally if you wanna re gear get a chain and sprocket and forget about the front one, go up or down teeth in the back or dump the bike for more than you paid. before you get too much money into the thing like i did.
In less the threads on the countershaft where stripped it should be salvageable. If the OP carefully grinds the weld off and only the weld, he should be able to pry the sprocket off and not do anymore damage. Then get a new sprocket, nut and locking washer. I would also recommend filing a slight chamfer onto the threads at the end of the shaft to ease install of the lock nut.

·
R6 Pilot
783 Posts
im sure that welding the nut/sprocket got hotter than putting a grinder to the welds ever would. i wouldnt be worried about the seals being damaged if they already arent from the heat xfr of the welding

·
her name is Megan Fox
2,583 Posts
even if the threads are ****ed, you can reduce the diameter of the shaft the correct size to re-thread it. i had to do that for my track bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks a lot for the input, im just gonna keep it on until she starts to wear a lot more. I could probably get in another season in with that sprocket. Thanks a lot. =)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just lucked out and found a motor off an 02 locally, front end is smashed up, but has the whole motor with trans, 22,000 kms for 800 cdn. =)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts