Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tended to replace rear tires more often than the front, but the other day, some mechanic suggested that replacing both tires at the same time would be a better idea. I can't remember the argument for replacing both at the same time, but I remember it sounded good at the time.

So, would it be better to replace both tires at the same time or just replace the rear when it's worn, and the front when it's worn (which doesn't happen at the same time)?

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I never thought I'd find such a political debate on the r6-forum. Anyway, yeah, I agree, the Kawasaki Ninja is a much better bike than the R6. I mean who wouldn't want a lime green or a neon orange bike to ride around on.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
penfold said:
I never thought I'd find such a political debate on the r6-forum. Anyway, yeah, I agree, the Kawasaki Ninja is a much better bike than the R6. I mean who wouldn't want a lime green or a neon orange bike to ride around on.
HUH??? :stupic

Hey Ed..not sure really on the theory with replacing both, maybe someone can enlighten us...but today I am replacing just my rear tire. With another stock size 208 Dunlop so that my front and rear match....but as for tread wear, sounds like someone wanting to get another $100 out of ya

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
yoda said:
penfold said:
HUH??? :stupic
:eek:t just figured Ed would like to see it again since he seemed so found of it in the other thread! :hehe

As far as the tires go, it makes sense from a tread wear standpoint but thats about it. its not like a car where it its important that they be the same diameter on both sides of the same axle to reduce wear and strain on a differential. but hey, I could be wrong. I've been wrong alot of times.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I have always replaced the tires as needed. The rear wears much faster than the front on street bikes, so if you replace both, you're throwing away a perfectly good front tire. It won't handle any differently with a new rear and the existing front.
(other than the new rear will be slick as owl shit at first)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
penfold said:
I never thought I'd find such a political debate on the r6-forum. Anyway, yeah, I agree, the Kawasaki Ninja is a much better bike than the R6. I mean who wouldn't want a lime green or a neon orange bike to ride around on

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Ed..not sure really on the theory with replacing both, maybe someone can enlighten us...but today I am replacing just my rear tire. With another stock size 208 Dunlop so that my front and rear match....but as for tread wear, sounds like someone wanting to get another $100 out of ya
Yeah, I would have thought he was trying to get more money out of me, but I know the mechanic pretty well, and he usually gives it to me straight.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What is recommended and what is pratical are two different thing. Most/All tire manufacturer don't recommend that you patch a tire but many people have done it and there are products available for it.

Most people or mainly dealer would recommend replacing both tire at the same time. I myself replace the tire when needed and most people I know have a 2 to 1 ratio. Two rear tire for everyone front tire.

I am almost at the point of replacing my front and rear tire after just replacing the rear tire which was patched at about 7K miles. I am now over 10K miles on my 03.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Yeah.... Their is NO need to replace both tires at the same time. Maybe if you're Rossi or some other guy that might be able to feel the very slight difference in molded rubber from day to day.

Most of it has to do with scrubbing the tires in etc... You might have a new back tire with a good worked out front and feel like you are planted and then all the sudden wash out in the rear side... big deal, if you have a new front at the same time also, you have to worrry about when both tires are scrubbed in and ready to be worked.

I've usually gone 2 rear tires to 1 front tire, and sometimes even 3 rears to 1 front. 2 rears to 1 front is most common though with a good set of tires and good rider.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Ed said:
some mechanic suggested that replacing both tires at the same time would be a better idea.
does this mechanic, perhaps.....sell front tires???

just wondering.

I also replace em as i need em.

Only sucks when you want to try a new brand because then you have to deal with a mis-match. This can be a problem because the tire profiles will probably be different on the diff brands. That is what Im dealin with now.

I have Pilot Power (AWESOME) on the back and the shit stock Dunlop 218 on the front.

·
Banned
4,008 Posts
i agree with everyone else(except penfold and his dam kawi comment :stupic ) i just replace what is needed. but i will say if i needed a front tire and not the back i would probably buy both just so i will have the rear when it comes up. or i could just burn it off in a sweet ass spectacle for the chicas :mrgreen: so that i can replace it right then :cheers

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,812 Posts
Ed said:
some mechanic suggested that replacing both tires at the same time would be a better idea.
i would think that mechanic is working on some type of commision on what ever he sells. i am with the other guys on replace on whats needed. for me the only reason why i changed both tires was i got the deal from pirelli earlier this year with the free diablo front tire. a friend of mine kept buggin me about my stock tires, so i sold it to him. it still had about 1500 miles left but he swears by the dunlop 208.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I replace both at the same time , if the front has more tire left in it , I replace it anyway , why? .....it's simple your LIFE! and bike are on the line it's enough to worry about cars , dirt in the road , wet patches in the road, tires slipping from mismatch treads , sizes and such ........ and when I ride I'm not worried about ( will my tires be ok ) lol they Match and both are new .....

after a 100 miles it's ON and the chickin' strips are gone GO !!!!!!!

LOL BTW I just bought a set of Powers :twisted: I'll post later on them .....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.