Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall,
I'm a industrial design student and I've been doing research on motorcycle jackets for the semester. I wanted to do some user research and get some feedback on the likes and dislikes of current jackets and trends. Any sugestions would be great. :mrgreen:

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
if they could fit a camel-bak water thing into the humps on some the high dollar jackets would be great. it would be good for long rides or what ever. besides i dont have room in my trunk for a water bottle.

·
Registered
211 Posts
That's not a bad idea at all! It's nothing but sponge in the humps anyways.
I took my bike to south Fla. when hurricane hit the panhandle and damn that was a long hot ride. I was wishing I had brought my camelbak for that one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply guys,

What do you guys think of temperature controlled jackets, or jackets that have integrated mp3 players?

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
bios42d said:
What do you guys think of temperature controlled jackets, or jackets that have integrated mp3 players?
for me if it has some type of cooler in it, im all for it. i dont need the heat.

as for mp3 players, there are so much out there now that all you need is a small pocket. so far i have been using the creative nomad muvo, not sure which order the names go. but its really compact. i would say no to an mp3 player built into a jacket.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
yeah the camelback thing is a good idea and I agree with stone on the mp3 thing

·
Knee Draggin Poor Boy
1,238 Posts
As long as it saves my ass when/if i fall, i'm happy. Actually i'm very satisfied with jackets the way they are now. if you add too much stuff to a jacket, you cant devote 100% of your attention to riding and in theis country with all the stupid cagers, you need 100% for riding.

·
Registered
392 Posts
r6-hybridd said:
As long as it saves my ass when/if i fall, i'm happy. Actually i'm very satisfied with jackets the way they are now. if you add too much stuff to a jacket, you cant devote 100% of your attention to riding and in theis country with all the stupid cagers, you need 100% for riding.
I concur...I would rather buy something that is gonna protect me...forget all the amenities...I miss the good 'ol days when cars where simple...just a motor, clutch, and shifter...now it's all electronics...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the reply again,

I'll discuss this with my instructor and project teammate, any other comments would be much appreciated....ps, love this forum.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have heard some very bad things about Mesh jackets just shredding like nothing during a crash, therefore becoming totally useless. But when it is over 100 degrees with 100% humidity, it is hard to find anybody wearing leather around here.
With that being said, I believe the cooling system in a leather jacket is money. Well, as long as it could be somewhat affordable. Just think about it, even with a mesh jacket or none at all with those temps, you are going to sweat like michael jackson at a daycare! So if there was a jacket that kept you cool it would promote people to wear them, and be alot safer at the same time.
p.s. I have a mesh jacket. doh!

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
TapoutR6 said:
Just think about it, even with a mesh jacket or none at all with those temps, you are going to sweat like michael jackson at a daycare!
first off that analogy is friggin hilarious!!! :hammer :hammer :hammer

yes i agree it does get too hot sometimes for leather. i also have the mesh jacket. i hardly use it though. even perforated leather gets hot. for me thats why i like to wear my camel bak under my leathers. it helps on those hot days. plus water keeps you hydrated so you could sweat some more. HAHAHA!!!!

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I don't even wear jackets for that reason,and a few others. When it's cold I usually just wear a sweatshirt. I do plan on buying a jacket this year though. You only can be lucky for so long.

·
Registered
356 Posts
mess is ok. i have one but i am looking for a leather. I would suggest something with better ventalization. maybe somthing with tubes the suck in air and put it where the vents on normal jackets today don't reach. water is a great idea too. pockets and cool graphics are always nice too. maybe something that you could put a two way radio in and connect it to your helmet.

hope this helps
matt

·
Registered
586 Posts
RadRacer84 said:
I would suggest something with better ventalization. maybe somthing with tubes the suck in air and put it where the vents on normal jackets today don't reach.
yeah, you saying that brought to mind the gloves with little scoops on them to take in air, thad be cool, get it, cool, it's a pun. :hammer

Those scoops could be enlarged a little and placed on the jacket, i think that would work.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
a cooling effect would be great, as long as it would only cool me when the temp in the jacket changed .. i.e. when you stop at a traffic light, depending on the outside temp, you can start to sweet really fast.

The MP3 player is a bad idea, better to have a place for it and if you wanted to shoehorn your self into a single unit you could have the built in controls for an iPod on the sleve. I've seen this done on a ski jacket before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts