Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The background: Bought crashed bike. Cracked rim and stator cover. Bike now runs (idle, read below) and wheel is replaced.

The problem: In neutral the bike is able to be pushed as normal. In gear the bike is much harder to push (the clutch seems adjusted properly). My other 600 does not feel like this.

I haven't put it in gear while it was running because I don't know if something bad will happen. What do you guys think? Try it and hold on? :YEA :nocontrol

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Depending on if it was run on its side for a while before it got shutoff you may have seized a few clutch discs. If it hasn't ran for a while, they could just be dried out and need to be broken loose. Put the bike in gear and hold the front brake. Worst that happens is it stalls out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Holding the clutch-lever in trying to start the bike and it jumps forward. Played with the adjusters for a while and couldn't get it to free up. The cable moves the spring quite a ways (at least as long as on my 600rr) so it should fully disengage.

So you think that a crash could damage the clutch like this? If a few plates are seized as you think this means the big bucks in repairs huh?

The bike was oil-free for probably 2-3 months after the crash according to the seller. The battery was fine without disconnecting or charging when I first fired it up so I believe him. We tried running the bike in neutral and letting the clutch in and out to hopefully lube it up. No luck :( So if clutch was dried it would be lubed now right?

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
Just needs a little riding to get the plates freed up again. Worst case scenario - replace whichever plates are bad - they aren't expensive.

·
SHIFT!!
100 Posts
Start the bike in neutral, pull in the clutch, press the front brake, shift it into 1st (force it if you have to). I had a couple bikes do that, starting it with the clutch pulled in and the bike in gear usually isn't ehough, you need the motor to free the clutch plates not the starter.

·
Registered
998 Posts
What year is it and how long has it been sitting? If a plate is broke you WILL ruin your motor and tranny when it grinds up. I've seen it happen to a quad. I would drain it and peak inside to be on the safe side. You never know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, how fast would I ruin the motor?

So I shifted it into first back and forth from neutral a couple times. Then I rode it around the parking as if it didn't have any problems. When I was done with that it moves much more freely but it still isn't 100%. So I guess this is motivation to legalize it enough to ride around the neighborhood for a while. How long would it take to lube them up to 100% again?

Like 1 mile, 10 miles, or 100 miles?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Well, how fast would I ruin the motor?

So I shifted it into first back and forth from neutral a couple times. Then I rode it around the parking as if it didn't have any problems. When I was done with that it moves much more freely but it still isn't 100%. So I guess this is motivation to legalize it enough to ride around the neighborhood for a while. How long would it take to lube them up to 100% again?

Like 1 mile, 10 miles, or 100 miles?
I said that as a precautionary because you didn't state anything more about the wreck. It's also not too hard to do. People can shatter their plates and lock up the rear tire. Finally ending in a crash most of the time. It happens from being hard on the clutch and popping wheels.I said that because I assumed the old owner wouldn't of told you that if that did happen.

You proved that wrong though by getting it to shift. It will get better with time and working the plates more. The more you shift the better the plates will lube up. Synthetic may also help and it wouldn't be a bad idea to change your oil once it starts working 100%. Best of luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the owner told me the story of his crash which could have been total BS but he has been a honest guy. He said someone turned in front of him at a church and locked his rear tire, went down on the left side. No scratches on the right but the subframe broke (right at the tip) and rim cracked. You would think possibly a wheelie but the tail is perfect. The front fairing and left light are toast. He had frame sliders :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts