Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
I'm after a new (2003) shape R6 and I live in England. Only one probelm. I can only ride 33bhp's... :cuss

I rang a local dealer and asked if they did a restriction kit for it and they said "no" cos it's injection not carb. they said yamaha haven't yet made a restriction kit for it and they then said that they don't know when one'll be available. I'm wanting one in september and was wondering if anybody knew when/if they are/will be available, or if someone has actually done this...

is there a third party producer of restriction kits and if so are they as reliable or as good as the real deal yamaha's if or when they'll do one.

thanks.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think in Europe, you are restricted to riding machines with "x" amout of horsepower for so many years. That way a 16 year old can't go out and get a gxr-1000 like here in the states.

·
Registered
293 Posts
oh ok well i guess that is not a too bad idea, although there are some awesome riders in their teens. ben spies for instance is only 19 and dominating!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
33bhp kits are available for all R6's, they are supplied by FI International.
The price of the kit with fitting is around £200 and is available from most non official Yamaha dealers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi,

yeah, sorry bout that... forgot to tell you where I was... I live in the uk and over here you can do your full motorbike licence at 17 but if you do so you are limited to 33bhp or 25kw for a period of 2 years from passing your test. it's cr*p really, but I don't want to be illegal about stuff and get a full power just yet. :roll:

Is that company who restricts them in the UK or are they in the US? Do you know if they restrict the bike by taking parts out of if it is just a throttle restriction? cos I want to know that if they take any parts out then I want them, so I can get it derestricted at 19 without having to search for the parts taken off me or buying them back off the place that did the restriction for me.

Also, would this invalidate the warranty if I were to get it done by a place other than Yamaha?

Thanks for the replies!!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Don't want to be illegal about stuff but getting a 350lb bike with over 100hp. ;) Tell it to the judge, criminal!!! :mrgreen:

Alden

·
Registered
35 Posts
The restrictor kits are available in the UK and the rest of Europe with the same type of 2 year restriction.

The kit itself consits of 4 washers that restrict fuel flow and are placed in the carb boots.

Fitting will not affect your warranty.

How the process works is you give FI international a call and they will direct you to a local dealer. The local dealer will want to see your V5 and will take chassis and engine no's and then order the kit. When the kit arrives it takes about 1 hour to fit, and hey presto you have a 33bhp bike with all the legal paperwork.

FI international are in kent, possibly maidstone, but I cant remember exactly, try calling directory enquiries.

·
Registered
35 Posts
BTW, you cannot ride a bike over 33bhp until 2 years after passing your test if you are over 21. If you are under 21 and your 2 years is up you can only ride a bike over 33bhp when you turn 21.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For the restriction to be legal it has to be no greater than 33bhp at the crank.

I have ridden a few restricted bikes and they suck big time. A lot of people I know just take out the restrictors and just keep the paperwork to show the police.

·
Registered
3 Posts
your wrong there.
in the uk no mater what your age you can only ride a 33bhp bike unless you have had your licence for over 2 years.
unless..

you are over 21 then you can do a different test called a direct access test that lasts for a couple of days , this alows you to ride any bhp bike.

thnx
dene

·
I live for Summer.
64 Posts
Just a thought, why not get a 125cc learner bike and wait for the bigger better one. Something like a Cagiva Mito or and Aprillia RS that way if you mess up it won't hurt you wallet as much. Also those bikes are alot faster and will have more power than a restricted 600cc bike.

Just my 2'c worth...... :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts