Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
track is 90 miles away. I need suspension and tire work done by vendors before going to tech and would have to be up at ~5am to get there in time.

question:

should I get a cheap $50 hotel 10 minutes from the track the night before or should I just ride out there?

unfortunately, I cannot rent a trailer in time since I have to work the day before and cannot arrange to pick it up, and I do not have my own car to get out there.

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
I'd get a hotel and do it bro. But I'd also get a hotel for the night after the TD. 90 miles after doing 100 miles on the track is gonna be BRUTAL bro

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahhh okay. sucks this place does the trackdays on Wednesday.. as we get into June I have a track closer to me that does days on the weekends. Next week is gonna be awesome.

I have some rashed up fairings, do you think I should throw those on before heading out there?

also have a set of frame sliders, but might not have a torque wrench to install them.. should I cut the fairings and have someone install them day-of?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'd get a hotel the night before so that way you are not exhausted at all. You might have too much worry if you have to ride 90 miles that morning, knowing you have this much time to get there and then you still need tires and suspension work, etc.. As for the ride home, I would do it if I had to. If you are in shape then you could. I remember last year I hurt half way through one track day - my legs were so sore. Over the winter I began working out and last weekend I performed 2 days back to back and could still do more.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
Ive ridden to the track (130 miles), ridden all day, and ridden home before with nothing but my suit and a backpack. Its not for wimps, but its not that bad. Ive actually done it a couple of times to different tracks.

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
If you mention that you're doing a track day at BHF, that hotel gives you a special low rate... I wouldn't recommend it though, since if you crash during the day you're boned.

Why would you need suspension and tire work before tech?

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,460 Posts
If you mention that you're doing a track day at BHF, that hotel gives you a special low rate... I wouldn't recommend it though, since if you crash during the day you're boned.

^this.

And you're going to have to buy a TON of water and some food while you're there. I guess you could borrow tools if you had to. Bit if you wreck you're fcked.
At the very least, if you have to ride get a room the might before. The ride home is gonna suck either way.

I would try to rent or find a buddy with a truck.

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,747 Posts
Are you sure there will be a tire guy and suspension guy there???????I would double check to make sure you dont waste your time...BTW Autobahn with STT is not that far away, and Joliet is not to far from Chicago

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Not sure if it has to be done before or not, just assumed. I would like to get my suspension set for me, since I bought the bike used. I also have my rear Q2 tire mounted in the opposite direction, and both tires are slightly out of balance.

Will those tire issues be a problem?

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
Are you sure there will be a tire guy and suspension guy there???????I would double check to make sure you dont waste your time...BTW Autobahn with STT is not that far away, and Joliet is not to far from Chicago
I've never been to a BHF day with motovid that Kenny (Dunlop guy) and TSE (trackside suspension and engineering) weren't there. I think he's safe.

You're right though, there's a WSB field trip to Autobahn for memorial day weekend, and we're getting a hella cheap rate. Sign up NAO!

Not sure if it has to be done before or not, just assumed. I would like to get my suspension set for me, since I bought the bike used. I also have my rear Q2 tire mounted in the opposite direction, and both tires are slightly out of balance.

Will those tire issues be a problem?
There's a guy that lives in South Beloit that rides to the track, but otherwise it's VERY uncommon.

Suspension setup and tires not on correctly will probably wanna be tweaked before you hit the track, but you will pass tech without a problem. You're gonna have to remove your rear wheel for Kenny to swap your tire around, FYI.. and it'll probably cost you ~$40. Your front is obviously going to need to be taken off to be balanced also... You wanna ride to the track with tires that aren't balanced?!

I'd hitch a ride with someone who has a truck. Check the local forums (chicagoland sportbikes, WSB and others).

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,747 Posts
I've never been to a BHF day with motovid that Kenny (Dunlop guy) and TSE (trackside suspension and engineering) weren't there. I think he's safe.

You're right though, there's a WSB field trip to Autobahn for memorial day weekend, and we're getting a hella cheap rate. Sign up NAO!
TSE is everywhere! :laugh If I was not racing that weekend of Autobahn, I would have come up

Fcuk dunlop :D

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
TSE is everywhere! :laugh If I was not racing that weekend of Autobahn, I would have come up

Fcuk dunlop
:D
I agree, but it's handy to have a guy 30 feet from where you're pitted that can give a good recommendation for tire pressure and stuff.. Because I'm a newb.

Also, have you seen some of the improvements that TSE is doing to their shop? Clean room, shock dyno, etc. etc. etc... Quickly becoming a world class facility.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts