Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished my basic rider course today. :mrgreen: I passed. I have very little street experience and about 6 years dirbike exp., but I am glad I took it. I realize now, that I was not riding properly.

Had trouble with those damn figure 8's in a tight box. oh well, it's time to celebrate :drink

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
congrats man, i also had problems with the small box doin the eights. though i did find lookin where i was goin instead of down at the ground did the trick in the end. :cheers

·
Registered
836 Posts
I still have problems with low speed maneuvers after 10 years of street riding.

It's just par for the course when riding a sportbike.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Congrat. I finished mind about 2 weeks ago and now riding a 03 Blue R6.

Lots of fun.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Congats are in order!

I agree, low speed manuevers give me the fits! U-turning on a hill is no fun whatsoever!

·
Registered
289 Posts
yeah i passed mine a month abo a week b4 i picked up my R6. i never riden b4 that. im glad i took it.

yeah those dam figure 8, as loki said, the trick is to look where you are goin. pretty much applies to all the turning manuvers.

·
Ride or Die
174 Posts
I'm gettin ready to take the MSC on a military base in about a week or so, all I've heard is that the fig. 8 are the hardest part if your on a rocket. But it's either pay 250 bucks to use there little 250 roadbikes or do it for free on my own, so I opted for my own. :jump

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just finished my riding course this weekend also. I highly recommend it to everyone. I've been riding for about 2 1/2 years, and I can't believe how much I learned from it.

Figure 8's definitely NOT as easy as it looks.

TCLOC-S
FINE-C

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another good thing about the MSF is that you are allowed to make some mistakes during the evaluation. You can miss up to 21 points. Not like the DMV, you put one foot down and your done.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
What other skill test do they make you do? I'm signed up for my course, but that is not until the end of May, and I should be getting my bike probably next week sometime... So I figured that I could pratice what they want you to do before I get there... It might be in the manual, I've only made it about 10-15 pages in.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
drhodes said:
What other skill test do they make you do? I'm signed up for my course, but that is not until the end of May, and I should be getting my bike probably next week sometime... So I figured that I could pratice what they want you to do before I get there... It might be in the manual, I've only made it about 10-15 pages in.
well the majority of it is quite a bit easier. mostly they get u used to ridin a bike by sending you in straight lines going slow and quick, so that u have to use the brake and clutch. they also teach you some weavin, and some archin turns and crap like that. just get used to ridin your bike a little before u go to make it a little easier. the slow manuevers are hard on the cruiser style they let u use but the sport bike is actually a little harder cause your higher off the ground. :cheers

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Practice doing tight figure 8's, hard breaking using both breaks with out locking rear, negotiating curves (they want you to break before a curve and accelerate out smoothly), also very important you need to practice looking in the direction of your turn, whether it be a u-turn, curve, or a swerve. Oh yeah the swerving, practice on that, you know, put pressure on one side of the handle bar, and then pressure on the other side to straighten out.

Get plenty of rest the night before. I was pretty tired the first day. They make you walk the bike around, playing with the friction zone of the clutch. multiple choice test is easy, the riding test is a 4 part test. We did 2 of them in one. Which was do the figure 8, then leave the box, swerve some cones, and stop. Next was the break test, they will measure how long it takes to stop. and last was negotiating 2 curves, this test is timed. Thats it.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
Dvs1 said:
Practice doing tight figure 8's, hard breaking using both breaks with out locking rear, negotiating curves (they want you to break before a curve and accelerate out smoothly), also very important you need to practice looking in the direction of your turn, whether it be a u-turn, curve, or a swerve. Oh yeah the swerving, practice on that, you know, put pressure on one side of the handle bar, and then pressure on the other side to straighten out.

Get plenty of rest the night before. I was pretty tired the first day. They make you walk the bike around, playing with the friction zone of the clutch. multiple choice test is easy, the riding test is a 4 part test. We did 2 of them in one. Which was do the figure 8, then leave the box, swerve some cones, and stop. Next was the break test, they will measure how long it takes to stop. and last was negotiating 2 curves, this test is timed. Thats it.
ya thats some good advice, also learn what gear u do the figure 8's better in cause some people like to do them in second and some in first. just try it both ways and see whats easier for u.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
Thanks for the advice. When I get my bike I will pratice those skills. I'm take the course that gives you a bike (NY really does not offer 'bring your own').

·
Registered
144 Posts
Another manuver they might have you do that is kind of interesting is the large figure eight with other riders. This was done in my MSF course. You have to time it so you don't colide with somebody else in the middle of the eight. Was actually one of the funnest exercieses. Makes you learn how to anticipate others and how to either speed up really quickly or hit the brakes. Also how to look deep into a turn. You have to look at the intersection while you are turning or else, BANG it is too late.

I found that the slow tight weaving was the most difficult. Trying to not have the back tire go over a cone was tough.

Great course. Definetely a course everybody should take.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i have some things to work on i see... I take the class at the end of april

·
Registered
27 Posts
smiko0124 said:
i have some things to work on i see... I take the class at the end of april
Same here, I'm using the places 250's to take the test. I saw someone post earlier about it being 250 dollars to use those, I take a 3 day training class AND use the bikes and it was only 25 dollars a person at a local college :?:

·
Registered
318 Posts
same here, i will be using the classes 125 or 250 but it only cost me 50 bucks... kinda hard to believe they would charge 250 somewhere else but not here..

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
smiko0124 said:
same here, i will be using the classes 125 or 250 but it only cost me 50 bucks... kinda hard to believe they would charge 250 somewhere else but not here..
well it all comes down to the state and the place that gives the class. mine was $155. but ya just practice some and it will be an easier class. :cheers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts