Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i'm going to take the riders test so i can finally get rid of this damn permit. Just a quick question for you guys that have taken it. The weaving portion, does anyone know the distance between cones? I measured it a while ago and thought that it was 12ft apart and offset by a foot. My neighbor is telling me that its only 10ft apart and offset by 2ft. I can nail the 12ft everytime, but the 10ft is killing me. I haven't been able to hit it even once. I have a 250cc honda that i'm practiceing on so its not the bike. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
from what i have seen. it is 12feet with 2 foot offsets from the center. a word of advice is that: it is better to run over the cone and keep driving then put your foot down to regain direction. but dont fall over either.
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oliverclothesov said:
from what i have seen. it is 12feet with 2 foot offsets from the center. a word of advice is that: it is better to run over the cone and keep driving then put your foot down to regain direction. but dont fall over either.
:mrgreen:
That is exactly what i was looking for. Thanks

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
its easier with an old cruiser type bike. like the honda shadow 250, the same ones they use in the msf course. its gonna be hard to do it on the R6 with the clipons close to the tank, especially when going slow.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Come on stone.... I passed the one on Maui with an F3!! LOL :mrgreen: . the truth is I barely passed it and it took every ounce of concentration I could muster. I was down to my last " Put your foot down again and go home" chance. LOL What the hell I got my license and that's all that counts.

My advice is: why take the chance?? rent out a Moped. can't remember the cc that it had to be, but damn my grandma could pass on it blind folded holding a beer on her left hand. :drink LOL Good luck

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
i heard if you test with a bike under 500CC or something like you can't ride the bigger bikes. IF you test with a 500cc or above you can ride any cc bike out on the market.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
MadChild said:
i heard if you test with a bike under 500CC or something like you can't ride the bigger bikes. IF you test with a 500cc or above you can ride any cc bike out on the market.
well in hawaii thats BS. because i took the test during the msf course and used the honda shadow 250. i passed with a perfect score. i also ended up scraping the right peg for the right hand 90 degree turn, way too much lean angle and speed. LOL!!!... i know its not something to go rippin it up. but it works. on my license there is no restrictions on the size of bike even though i used a 250.

do what RatbikeR6 says, use a moped/scooter. i believe if you use something like those huge scooters. you know the ones with the big harley type windshield. i think those are 100cc. i think those are legal for the test, with no restriction on the size of bike. to be sure you are better off asking your local dmv or the yamaha dealer should know also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In IL the restriction is 150cc amd up for a unrestricted M Class. I have an 82 Honda 250cc that i've been on. I think i will be fine, i was just worried about the weaving distance cause that 10ft is almost impossible but 12 is very do able. Thanks again guys

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
if you take it with that bike and you are kinda used to it you should do fine. i wouldnt worry about taking out a cone here and there. just dont drop the bike during the test. if i am not mistaken that is an automatic failure.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's different in different states. Washington State used to have a 3-tiered system so when I took the test on my 1978 DT175 in '99, I could only ride bikes up to 500cc. A few years later, they got rid of that and just upgraded me to a Class III (all sizes) without having to retake the test.

Worked for me...

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's different in different states. Washington State used to have a 3-tiered system so when I took the test on my 1978 DT175 in '99, I could only ride bikes up to 500cc. A few years later, they got rid of that and just upgraded me to a Class III (all sizes) without having to retake the test.

Worked for me...

/*** FIRST DOUBLE POST ***/

·
Registered
380 Posts
i have 5200 miles on my 04 R6 all ridden with just a permit. Maybe its time to go get my liscense? I would kinda like to practice the cone thing before i go and try though. hmm

·
Registered
4 Posts
hmmm...here in georgia i believe if you pass the MSF course and get your MSF card you are automatically qualitfied to get your M-class licence...

Please correct me if i am wrong on this...i'd really like to know

John

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
In Oklahoma after passing the MSF course you don't have to take the riding portion of the test. Everyone can pass the written test.

Good Luck :drink

·
Registered
784 Posts
Arizona is the same way, if you pass the MSF course all you have to do is take the written test. But even if you have to take the driving test at the DPS office, it's a piece of cake. I agree, with the R6 on the lowspeed tight turns the clipons do get close to the tank. Good luck.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I took it in MI..., I used a buds 250 (I had to take it cause I looped my bike with a permit, and needed to get the license before the court date - dumb move). Anyway..., my advice - go as slow as possible trough the cones, U-turn, and right/left turns. Just balance the bike, call it good. No points deducted for going slow if they don't tell you to go a certain speed.

One thing to consider - on 500cc or smaller, the radius if the u-turn shrinks, at least in MI. It's actually a little tougher cause I don't think those bikes turn for shit.

I've never heard anything about getting endorsement restrictions if you test with a small bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In California if you pass the MSF course then you get a little slip that waives the test at the DMV. From what I hear the MSF test is much easier than the DMV test.

·
Registered
267 Posts
1. http://www.msf-usa.org/
2. this will qualify as the riding portion of M class license requirements
3. good luck with taking the course and get the most out of it b/c the
lessons you learn may save your life one day.

:flame

·
Registered
21 Posts
I didnt know there was that much variance between each state. Being in Australia seems to be a bit harder to get a licence? I first had to go for a learners course 2days riding and one night practical. Then I could take the next course which included same two days of riding on the street as well as more classroom theory. That then got me a licence to ride only up to 250cc bikes, But I had bought a R6 and you could waite a year then you automaticaly upgrade. So i then took a final days riding on Z750 Kawasaki one day riding and night theory. Then it was up to the instructor to put in a recommendation that you e upgraded early. But you had to show you were confident but not over confident. But As soon as I got my licence I was straight to my dealer to pick up my R6

·
Registered
23 Posts
im in jersey....i took my license test on like a 50 cc small ass scooter that was automatic, it was the easiest thing evvvvverrrrr, it only weighed like 100 pounds or something.....i was never even on a motorcycle before and already had my license, after that i bought a $300 bike from a swapmeet and taught myself how to ride and there are no restrictions at all on the size of bike i can ride:mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts