Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 09 R6 with M4 midpipe, -1 front sprocket, BMC race air filter and PCV

I've measured and re-measured my MPG figures and im comming to the same number of 10.5L/100 KM or 22-23 MPG on VERY tame riding, i mean 6k RPM shifting. Ive made some research and I know that the sproket mod will increase consumption but im getting half the MPG that most people get? Just looking for any insight, here is the map im currently running.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Re: rediculous low MPG

When I first went -1 / +2, my fuel mileage dropped to about 25 mpg, that was when I ordered the AutoTune unit. Now I get 30-35 depending on how aggressive I ride.

Which map is that? It's pretty rich right in the area you are riding in most, so that won't be help you. How much of this is highway? What RPMs are you running on the highway?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

thanks for your reply. this is the M4 full exhaust map, couldnt find any other one for the mods i have.

the measurements are mostly highway, which is even stranger.

driving at 60 MPH my bike revs would be at 6k in 6th gear

·
Registered
106 Posts

i too have ridicules low MPG about 21mpg
i have the m4 mid pipe no cat
-1/+2 sprocket 520
k&N Race filter
flashed ECU MJS map
just want to know if i can improve my MPG im not looking for drastic improvement but getting better MPG would be nice

·
On a journey
78 Posts

I hope someone can chime in. I have stock gear ratio and am using the mjs map on my pcv and I get about 100 miles to the tank with very easy riding...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I hope someone can chime in. I have stock gear ratio and am using the mjs map on my pcv and I get about 100 miles to the tank with very easy riding...
are you getting 100 miles before the fuel light comes on or 100 miles before you run dry? if im lucky i can get 60 miles before my the fuel light comes on...

·
On a journey
78 Posts
100 miles before the light comes on. I still think its kinda low.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just an update about this issue.

I decided to experiment with different PCV maps all with similar results, no drastic change in MPG.

I then tried the stock 09 R6 map and I saw an improvement, now I can get 100 miles before the light comes on instead of the previous 80.

Just wondering if its dangerous to run the stock map since i did the cat-delete with the M4 midpipe and BMC air filter? My bike seems to actually run better with the stock map

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Just wondering if its dangerous to run the stock map since i did the cat-delete with the M4 midpipe and BMC air filter? My bike seems to actually run better with the stock map
I dynoed my bike with MJS headers, K&N filter, and GYTR slip on, with a zero map during a AFR target discussion and didn't see anything dangerous on the AFR graph.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A zero map is zero changes to the OEM fuel map.

I'd go get the bike tuned on a dyno by someone that knows what they are doing and stop using canned maps.
i thought that was called stock map which is what im currently running on the PCV...

and ive searched for a dyno in my area, couldnt locate a tuner so for now im stuck using generic maps.

·
Banned
7,291 Posts
Also keep in mind the gas you're buying might be 15% ethanol. It will get worse mpg.

Check your brakes for drag. Tire pressure. Inspect the chain for tight spots and sprockets for wear. Lube the chain real good.
Use a lighter oil like 10w40 or 30.
Oh and how much do you weigh.

·
Registered
98 Posts
IMO, it will do a better job. It will account for elevation changes, etc all through your O2 sensor. It will constantly adjust for the ideal AFR throughout all the ranges, especially if you tune it for every gear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.