Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've never ridden 2-up before in my life. When I got my bike I went and bought a race bracket for my exhaust and took off the passenger pegs to help avoid getting anyone on the back - it made it easier for me to say "sorry, I can't"

But in the fall when I get back to school I want to give a few ladies some rides - occasionally on the bike too :sing

Is it difficult? I realize it's adding a bunch of weight and high up, but is it tough to get the hang of?

Any tips or advice and maybe some things to pay attention to or avoid?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Just give yourself more braking distance & don't turn so hard. Also, if it's the rider's first time on the back of a bike, tell them to lean with the turns, not against them. It'll make your life easier.

Oh, another thing that'll make your life easier is if you tell them to put their hand on the tank and lean their weight on that when you're breaking. If they don't, you'll have double the weight on your arms.

·
Hey Guy
5,290 Posts
I just rode with my wife on the bike for the first time today. The R6 is super uncomfortable to double up on since its more of a racing bike. it was really twitchy every time she moved. Just take it easy and youll be fine. Oh, and enjoy your nuts on the tank.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
explain the rules right off the bat to her. Dont adjust abruptly move when you're rollin and to always lean WITH you in the turn. Just tell her that you lean left and she leans right the bike goes strait and that'll be it...she'll see it your way. Other than that it isnt horrible, not my favorite thing but its nice. Oh and no big girls...

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
^^^ +1 to everything said. Try not to lean up on the tank too much though, unless you're a big guy. Best to scoot back a little towards your passenger during highspeed riding and have her squeeze her legs against your body as you squeeze against the tank, it'll make it more comfortable for her to support her body weight by not putting all of the pressure on usually weak arms, shoulders and breasts. That'll in turn ease your back pains cause she won't be sharing her weight with you.

+100 on leaning with you in the turns, but also tell your pillion to LOOK though the turn, it'll keep their shoulder weighted inward and keep them attentive in turns. My fiancé used to swivel in and out of turns catching scenery. I had to be extra attentive to keep us from going down cause the slight weight change in the shoulders from moving the head travels all the way to the wheels.

Also good idea to have a stop/slow down signal clarified before you ride. I do triple tap right shoulder for stop and same on left for slow down. I choose shoulder just cause it's seems the most accessible place which won't be accidentally or inadvertently tapped.

As for you - stay cool, keep your body relaxed. Maybe adjust your shock a bit to accommodate the extra weight (I do it every time, and we have a very comfortable ride, I can lean just as much with her as without her, but more than that, it makes city riding easier). Remember if you're tense, your inputs will be equally rigid. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
i didnt read what anyone else said, but i know the biggest surprise for me was how quickly the bike falls into turns with a higher/heavier center of gravity. taking turns too slowly can be a bad idea, also. :yes

·
Registered
322 Posts
more or less everything has been said but a tip that seems to help with the turns...instead of telling them to lean with you or bike just tell them to look over the shoulder corrisponding to the turn (i.e. left turn left shoulder, right turn right shoulder) i find that when they do this they dont fight the lean as bad if at all. oh and no abrupt acceleration or braking, your not trying to scare them into not wantin to ride again lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
+1 to everything already said, and you might want to wear a cup or some kind of nut protection, I know it sounds silly but I smashed my boys yesterday with a girl on the back, braked really hard and she slid into me, let out a little scream in helmet.

actually, let that happen and then you can ;);)

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
I used to ride 2 up all the time especially livign in south america, even with another guy since it is normal there and the bike was my only form of transportation.

No one has mentioned but on lights and stops tell them to not put there foot down or move without you expecting it. If they try to get comfy and your holding the bike up with one foot they might make it lean more. I've had 5 different girls on the R6 and I don't know but most of the time you can't even tell that they are there, maybe cause they have all been skinny girls....

oo... and NO fat chicks, ever......

·
Ur mom doesnt fit on back
247 Posts
as for getting on the bike have her do it like she was mounting a horse. if from the exhaust side (and you on it), the right first, then swing the left over.

its awkward when they walk up to the bike, look at you, then look back at the bike, and ask how they are supposed to get on it.

and then youll notice how nice your bike really handles when they git off.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
...I want to give a few ladies some rides - occasionally on the bike too :sing

you nasty buzzard... clever though. like saying "yea, i studied abroad... OR TWO!"

Is it difficult? I realize it's adding a bunch of weight and high up, but is it tough to get the hang of?

Any tips or advice and maybe some things to pay attention to or avoid?
it's not bad... you'll definately feel a difference, but be sure to let them know that it's "spine to spine" when riding with you. they're dead weight, and you're the one that needs to be doing the leaning. they just have to hang on. you could always keep the pegs off and have the ladies wrap their legs around you. or let them drive and you "hang on to whatever you can find up front". :fact

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright sounds like good advice so far.

As far as mounting the bike, obviously I should be on there first and she should get on as if it were a horse saddle - correct? I've seen it done where the chick mounts with the bike on the stand - but that seems awkward for me to get on with her already there?

And NO fat chicks.

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
I start the bike, mount, put up the kickstand, both feet on the ground, front brakes depressed and then my girl knows she's good to go. Never before.

·
Registered
365 Posts
don't accelerate to abruptly, they can slide right off the back. and the front wheel comes up a little easier.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
+1 on no fat chicks ever.

·
I whore my R6
1,874 Posts
dont let them wear heels, that $h!+ is a pain to clean off your pipes

·
Registered
356 Posts

sorry for the crappy picture
these are my chicken stripes with my girl friend on the back. i ride 90 % of the time with her on the back.

when she gets on my bike im already on it and she uses my left peg to get up on the bike,then when she is sitting she switches her left foot to her own peg.

the only time it gets twitchey with her on the back is if we are going under 20 mph. otherwise i dont know she is there even at 145 mph.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts