Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't flame me here, this is an honest question. I recently started riding again, sold bike 8 years ago when we had a baby after riding it for 4 years, now just bought another one. I'm 31 and absolutely love the R6. My first bike was an 02' and my current is an 07'.

My question is, while riding after 45 min. or so my arms start to feel a little sore. I feel as I'm riding with to much body weight being supported by my arms and wrist. Keep in mind this is on the street, and mostly under 60 mph. so I'm riding up-right and not laying on the tank. I don't remember having this issue on the 02' 8 years ago. Is the riding position that much different between the 02' and the 07'? Or am I just getting old and whining? lol I'm only 160 lbs and 5'10".

This issue is not enough to keep me from riding, but thought maybe If was doing something wrong someone here would enlighten me. Thanks

·
Get Some..!
288 Posts
Is the riding position that much different between the 02' and the 07'?
Yes
Or am I just getting old and whining?
Probably that too lol.

This issue is not enough to keep me from riding, but thought maybe If was doing something wrong someone here would enlighten me. Thanks
Try gripping the tank with your legs more and support your upper body with your core strength. I personally like to be loose on bike and moving around a bit helps with fatigue in arms also. I'm 34 and when I'm not on the bike as often as I like I notice it more.

·
Registered
149 Posts
yea, work the core. you have to be in decent shape to handle the ergonomics of current r6's. there are a lot of things that can goo wrong with too much pressure on the bars. I'm with ****, use the legs to grip a bit and support the body with your core. sometimes on longer rides, i'll catch the back of my boots on the sliders so i can sit up right for a little bit. at the end of the day you gotta remember you bought a sportbike not a cruiser.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right on. I'll give gripping the tank with my legs a try. I normally put on 100 mi. Or better when I get out to ride so hopefully that will for me. Speaking of cruisers, I tried riding several buddy's bikes and hell with that. It's no where as much fun to ride.

I broke my back in a car accident in 2001 and have titanium rods in there now, and slouching on a cruiser hurts my back to ride. Riding a sport bike keeps my back straight so it is so much more comfortable, at least for me. Thanks guys.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,234 Posts
Everything that's been said is right on point. You need to be loose with your arms.

...and yes, there is a big difference in ergonomics between the '02 and the current R6

·
Vroom Vroom
611 Posts
I noticed for me that your body needs to get used to it too. You might have the core strength, but your body isn't used to being in the position. After riding everyday to work, my body gets used to it, and I can go on farther than usual rides without discomfort. But when I take like a month plus break from riding the bike, my body might feel a tad bit sore from just riding to work. Then my body gets used to it after a while and I am back to normal.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Oh the things I could do at age 23 vs 33.

You're older and the bike is much more aggressive than the other one. Conditioning helps a ton. And going fast helps even more. Not kidding. 20 minutes in slower speeds with cars in front and back and I'm sore as hell...

20 minutes of hardcore knee dragging and ass sliding bike rapage on the track and I'm comin into the pits with a semi.

So my .02 says you're older, out of riding shape, taking it easy and being responsible. That all plus the more aggressive riding position on the newer bike is really tough on the body.

:YEA

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh the things I could do at age 23 vs 33.

You're older and the bike is much more aggressive than the other one. Conditioning helps a ton. And going fast helps even more. Not kidding. 20 minutes in slower speeds with cars in front and back and I'm sore as hell...

20 minutes of hardcore knee dragging and ass sliding bike rapage on the track and I'm comin into the pits with a semi.

So my .02 says you're older, out of riding shape, taking it easy and being responsible. That all plus the more aggressive riding position on the newer bike is really tough on the body.

:YEA
Yea one of these days I grow the balls to get out on the track. I would love to, but have a lot to learn before I'd feel comfortable trying it. Oh and some gear to buy as well too.

And you nailed it with the older, and being more responsible, and taking it easy. I'll admit it, I'm not as ballsy as I was when I was in the early 20's. I have a tendency to think about things a little more now. I guess it's just part of being a parent.

·
Do you even lean bro?
164 Posts
@BillyboyR6

From my '04 600rr trackbike, to the '14 R6 I just picked up...the biggest difference is how much better the suspension and powerband is....Riding position is similar, but you definitely gotta find the sweet spot to engage your legs and your lower back.

If you keep your arms light, the bike will be smooth....tense up...shit gets really uncomfortable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i feel same soreness, i'm 6.3 and way too heavy, luckily it seems height is not as big of a problem
i'm 34 and have a family too, i think getting fit is the only way to manage the r6

Please don't flame me here, this is an honest question. I recently started riding again, sold bike 8 years ago when we had a baby after riding it for 4 years, now just bought another one. I'm 31 and absolutely love the R6. My first bike was an 02' and my current is an 07'.

My question is, while riding after 45 min. or so my arms start to feel a little sore. I feel as I'm riding with to much body weight being supported by my arms and wrist. Keep in mind this is on the street, and mostly under 60 mph. so I'm riding up-right and not laying on the tank. I don't remember having this issue on the 02' 8 years ago. Is the riding position that much different between the 02' and the 07'? Or am I just getting old and whining? lol I'm only 160 lbs and 5'10".

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, I've been riding quiet a bit lately and trying to break my bad habit of resting my body weight on the clip one through my arms. It's really hard to do. I've started using my core and gripping the tank with my knees, but as soon as stop thinking about it, I find myself automatically going back to resting on my hands. Is there a trick to break this habit I have?

I'm working on picking up some grip pads to help my knees hold on to tank, but it is hard to break old habits. Lol.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,234 Posts
It'll take time, but after awhile, it'll be second nature and you'll find yourself riding correctly without even thinking about it. Just keep it up!

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
Every time I read a thread about people being uncomfortable riding their R6s long distances on the street I think "yeah, no duh".

It's not supposed to be comfortable. It's for racing.

Speaking of cruisers, I tried riding several buddy's bikes and hell with that. It's no where as much fun to ride.
There are lots of bikes in between an R6 and a Harley that are both fun to ride, fast, and comfortable.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Yea one of these days I grow the balls to get out on the track. I would love to, but have a lot to learn before I'd feel comfortable trying it. Oh and some gear to buy as well too.

And you nailed it with the older, and being more responsible, and taking it easy. I'll admit it, I'm not as ballsy as I was when I was in the early 20's. I have a tendency to think about things a little more now. I guess it's just part of being a parent.
You won't learn anything on the street that will prepare you for the track any faster than actually going out and doing a trackday.

Don't worry about what you spend on track gear, because you should really have about the same amount of money invested in street gear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts