Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at different boots and shoes on kneedraggers.com and I was wondering what all of you wear? Are the riding shoes as good as the boots or would you recommend getting boots instead? All that I'll be doing with my bike is street riding, so I won't be racing on the track or anything. I would appreciate any input from anyone that could help me out.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I have the Joe Rocket Orbit Boot. They are well made and while not comfy enough for me to wear when I ride to campus and have to walk any distance in them(I do still wear helmet, jacket, gloves), there not to bad when out for a real ride.

I think a part of that is they are a touch small, although they felt good in the store.

I would recommend going to a local shop if you can and try some boots on. And see what feels comfortable and what you like.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I just wear something that has some good grip on the soles...I wear Lugs boot, because its durable. It doesn't has much grip, and its also not as flexible as basketball Shoes. Depends what are you gooing for

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got the white Alpinestars Sm-X's. They are hard to get used to at first, but the fact that my ankles and shins may be saved if I wipe makes me happy!

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Well, when you talk about gear, and what that gear is protecting...you tell me how much it is worth to you.

So, how much is your shin to your toe worth? $50? $100? $200?
I wear the AlpineStars SMX PRO...$250 boot, BUT...that is nothing compared to the cost of my leg. I also had a very clear decision-maker in that decision.

Most of you know the story of the friend of mine that went down Sept 17, 04. He is STILL barely out of a coma and listed as "vegatative". He was wearing your typical gear for the daily road. Arai Helmet, Joe Rocket jacket, Joe Rocket gloves, and Joe Rocket Blaster boots...with jeans. Since we are talking about BOOTS, I will keep it limited to that. Keep in mind, his crash was extreme, but, it was on a highway, and he was just out for an evening ride. He shattered his ankle and mangled the foot inside the boot. Now, I firmly believe he HAS a foot because of the boot, BUT, had his boot offered a bit more protection and support, he may not have still had the injuries he had.

So, when I went looking for boots, I bought the best damn boot I could find, that fit snug, had PLASTIC protection, and wasn't just a soft compound leather. My friend had NO rash on his foot, and the boot never gave out or anything...but there was no support and it still shattered the bones.

Now, like you say, you can't practically wear those all day or to school or work...so I wear mine only on "rides" and when I am just not going to be anywhere I couldn't wear them. For all other times, I wear Harley Boots. Tall, thick leather, solid sole. You should always have ankle support and coverage on a bike, I cringe now when I see guys on bikes with tennis shoes. Then again, to each their own. That is just my opinion and a reason about why I wear the boots I wear...cover as much as possible.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
okay for me if im just riding around the block to warm up my chain then anything goes. if i go to work i use my steel toe boots. if i ride with friends and know im going to tear it up then i have to wear my joe rocket speedmaster boots. im gonna get a pair of those sidis this year though.

well for me the reason i dont wear sneakers or any low cut shoes is because of the rumor i heard here on maui which turned out to be true. to make a long story short. one person here lost a foot because he was wearing sneakers. putting his foot down to control a rear slide broke the ankle bone. and skimming along the gaurd rail cut off the same foot. the old timers i ride with say the doctor explained if he had at least boot that covered his ankle he still would have his foot.

basically like yoda says how much are your feet worth?

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
the key there is what do you want to wear, and what you wear... i wear some crappy boots that offer NO protection. I want to wear good race type boots.

Hopefully this spring that will change - setting boots and leathers 13 of all of my extra cash.

·
FL45HM3
955 Posts
Its basically going to come down to how much protection YOU want for yourself. Either way, when it comes to protection, being cheap is NOT exactly a good way to go. I use to wear tennis shoes, then began wearing my Timberland boots just because they had more coverage and for Christmas I just got a nice pair of racing boots. I've put the bike away for the winter so I can't test the new boots out, but I'll probably wear them wherever I go. I'll just make sure to throw a regular pair of shoes in a backpack for when I get to my destination.

Heres my new boots:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
yoda said:
Well, when you talk about gear, and what that gear is protecting...you tell me how much it is worth to you.

So, how much is your shin to your toe worth? $50? $100? $200?
I wear the AlpineStars SMX PRO...$250 boot, BUT...that is nothing compared to the cost of my leg. I also had a very clear decision-maker in that decision.

Most of you know the story of the friend of mine that went down Sept 17, 04. He is STILL barely out of a coma and listed as "vegatative". He was wearing your typical gear for the daily road. Arai Helmet, Joe Rocket jacket, Joe Rocket gloves, and Joe Rocket Blaster boots...with jeans. Since we are talking about BOOTS, I will keep it limited to that. Keep in mind, his crash was extreme, but, it was on a highway, and he was just out for an evening ride. He shattered his ankle and mangled the foot inside the boot. Now, I firmly believe he HAS a foot because of the boot, BUT, had his boot offered a bit more protection and support, he may not have still had the injuries he had.

So, when I went looking for boots, I bought the best damn boot I could find, that fit snug, had PLASTIC protection, and wasn't just a soft compound leather. My friend had NO rash on his foot, and the boot never gave out or anything...but there was no support and it still shattered the bones.

Now, like you say, you can't practically wear those all day or to school or work...so I wear mine only on "rides" and when I am just not going to be anywhere I couldn't wear them. For all other times, I wear Harley Boots. Tall, thick leather, solid sole. You should always have ankle support and coverage on a bike, I cringe now when I see guys on bikes with tennis shoes. Then again, to each their own. That is just my opinion and a reason about why I wear the boots I wear...cover as much as possible.
Definately agreed.....you're so smart Yoda..... :poke

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got the Icon Super Duty boots and they are comfortable. They seem well made and the ankle and foot protection are very nice. I feel comfortable that these would save my foot and ankle if i had to go down.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
As my sig says:
Experience is that thing you get, right AFTER you needed it...

Let's just say, I have needed a lot of experience! haha

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks a lot for all of the input, it has really helped me out with my decision. Now the next thing that i was wondering is, does anyone know where I might be able to get a good deal on a pair of boots and what type of boot I should get for street riding, since i'm not very experienced?

Those are some nice boots redrocket. I really like them. Do they come in blue though because i just got an '05 Blue R6?

Thanks for the advice yoda, i really appreciate it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hey redrocket, which boots are those? Cause i was looking at a pair of SIDI boots that i kind of liked. The boots that I was looking at were the Strada Evo Air boot, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out a let me know if those would be a good boot for mainly street riding, or if I'm wasting my time?

·
FL45HM3
955 Posts
The boots that I have are the Sidi Vertigos. The ones you have shown an interest in, look like good boots to me. There are also some other brands that make really nice boots as well... it just rests on you finding a pair you really like. As far as your question about the color choices of the Vertigos, yes, they also come in blue. No matter what boots you decide to get, just make sure that they will offer adequate protection if you go down regardless the type of riding you will be doing.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
My next boots will be SIDI...I have heard so much about them...but...I won't order them without trying them on, and that is tough with SIDI, not many folks carry them.

but, my Alpinestars SMX Pros are damn comfortable!! THey have a boot inside the boot that you can actually tie..

·
Registered
211 Posts
Very goood choice on going with boots man! I have a pair of Sidi Vertebra II air carbon and LOVE them! I never realized just how much air was ventilating through those things until I took it out on a chilly day. But, since about 95% of the time it is either warm or hot, no regrets. Bonus: they are waterproof too!!! (I have a blue 6 so I prefer the Wal-Mart bags so they match on rainy days) :cheers

1 - 20 of 39 Posts