Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys give some pointers on riding canyons? I have about 720 mi on my 04 r6. I can negotiate curves, no problem. I have never ridin canyons with lots & lots of twisties, especially going up and down the canyons. I plan on taking the Hwy 74 ride up to Idyllwild, just waiting for my Slip on to take the trip.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
Just to be a d1ck:

Stay rubber side down, take the corners only as fast as you tink that you can handle (if you do not know the road don't go fast), wear full protective clothing, etc... All the common knowledge stuff..

Now it is time for the experts to chime in and give yu useful advise.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
well my biggest advice is to ride the canyon one way and watch the road for hazards(just to be safe). then once you have done this go the other way and have some fun with it. go at your own pace though. work up to draggin a knee if ya have to. anyway u do it just have fun and take pics. :cheers

also use your body weight to help turn the bike like they do in races.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I will definately go at my own pace. I will also take pics and post. :cheers

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
Yup, definitely go with your own pace that you feel most comfortable. But don't go waaaay too slow. My buddy who has a Gixxer 750 took a curve alot slower and the bike ended up on it's side. Also don't forget to incorporate your body weight taking a turn.

It's been a month that I started riding more in the twisties and it is fun. Just watch out for gravel/small pebbles before you ride it through hard.
Also watch out for deers/any crossing animals.

·
Registered
144 Posts
2nd that. Gravel is horrible stuff when leaned over far. I also agree that riding the rode once before leaning it over is a good idea.

One thing I would like to add is look deep into and through the corners. Don't focus on ground 15 ft in front of the bike. You will end up going wide. You also want to be able to pick up on those unexpected hazards that pop up. If you are going to lean it over pretty good for the first few times, watch your right hand turns. Knock on wood, but if you go down you don't want to be going into oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am sure you will be picking on the twisties for years to come so my advice is Keith Codes "Twist of the Wrist II"! I have owned this book for four years now and every time I read it I pick up-something to improve on! Also if you can get to a track-day school or two, you'd be in aw of just how much your street riding will improve!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pntbutta said:
I am sure you will be picking on the twisties for years to come so my advice is Keith Codes "Twist of the Wrist II"! I have owned this book for four years now and every time I read it I pick up-something to improve on! Also if you can get to a track-day school or two, you'd be in aw of just how much your street riding will improve!
Thanks for turning me on the that book, I will look for it. I do plan on taking more riding courses, gotta stay sharp.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pntbutta said:
Thanks for turning me on the that book, I will look for it. I do plan on taking more riding courses, Im sure I will learn a lot, and have fun while doing it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No problem!! Just glad I can help pass the knowledge!! It's no fun if ya' don't get to share the experience!!

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
pntbutta said:
ya ive heard great things about this book. i plan to get it pretty soon. :cheers

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sweet you won't be disappointed!! It's a little wordy at first and your like: What did he say? But once you get on the bike and start riding you'll be like oh! Oh yea! I once was blind, but now I see!!!! Or as you say WWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! :jump

1 - 13 of 13 Posts