Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
tall fcukin mutha fcuker
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With several group rides quickly approach and the steady increase of newer members to the site that are interested in attending said group rides I feel the need to discuss some general group riding guidelines. Hopefully this will give the newer members insight onto what to expect on these group rides while giving both new and old (ST) members a reminder on how to conduct themselves. I speak on behalf of group rides I lead as other people can lead their group rides however they see fit. I also make no guarantee this will spare us from any incidents, accidents, tickets or injuries.

Function as a group:

* Staggered riding in the straights, single file in the turns.
* Keep a safe distance between bikes. No one wants to get rear-ended (well maybe a few of the female riders).
* Let faster riders ahead of you. This will make the ride more enjoyable for everyone because you won’t feel pressured to go faster and they won’t need to slow down in turns because of you. Leave your egos at home. If there is a large gap between you and the person in front of you, chances are you should motion to the person behind you to pass. If they don’t feel the need they won’t and you can continue about your business.
* Never pass in the same lane unless the person in front of you waves you ahead or knows you’re about to do it (ie: chatterbox, etc).
* Signals: Use turn signals and relay hand signals to the group. You might have seen the leader make the signal but that does not mean the person behind you did. Don’t forget to turn them off after the turn also.
* Blocking: If you’re comfortable with blocking traffic it is always appreciated on larger intersections.
* Respect: Please ride with a general respect and concern for your fellow riders. If you’re a dick then just go away.

Function as an individual:

* Ride your own ride: We’d rather wait for you at the next turn and waste a few minutes then have to go back and wait for an ambulance. Silly us.
* Group Passing: Just because the lane was clear for passing for the people in front of you does not mean it still is. Although leaders should attempt to pass only when the entire group can make the pass it does not always mean that’s possible.

Other:

* Fill up: Fill up before you get to the meet location. If we’re meeting at a gas station then fill up before joining the group. If you didn’t fill up its your problem when you run out of gas.
* Stunting: Don’t stunt in the group. I don’t care how good you are. If there is another lane or we stop somewhere and you feel the need to stunt then have fun. Don’t do it in the group though.
* New Riders: If you’re new to riding or group riding let us know. This way we can give you some extra space and give pointers if you want them.
* Chatterbox: If you have one, charge it and bring it.
* Gear: You obviously can wear whatever you want, your decision. However I prefer you to AT LEAST wear a helmet on my group riders.

Please remember these are just guidelines and not rules. Also I don’t speak on behalf of any other ride leaders. Everyone is obviously more then welcome to lead their rides and their groups however they see fit. This is just how I ride and request you ride if you’re riding when I’m leading a run. Hopefully this will keep the rides enjoyable yet somewhat safe and sane. Once again though I make no guarantees. Feel free to suggest things I may have missed.
i seen this over on Northeast Sportbikes and thought i would post it here seen the season is going to be starting soon and i know i have had alot of fun on group rides and maybe this can help with some peoples rides that they may be doing soon,

·
Registered
250 Posts
Another good one to include is excessive speeding. I was in a group one night and the guys up front took off after some chick in a car while we were on a bridge going across the Mississippi river. I was in the back with my cousin just chilling. Long story short I was in the back and couldn't get away from the cops. So I ended up getting the tickets meant for them. I did beat the charges but I had get a lawyer and go to court over it. Needless to say I never rode with them again. So don't do anything stupid that will get somebody else in trouble.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Another good one to include is excessive speeding. I was in a group one night and the guys up front took off after some chick in a car while we were on a bridge going across the Mississippi river. I was in the back with my cousin just chilling. Long story short I was in the back and couldn't get away from the cops. So I ended up getting the tickets meant for them. I did beat the charges but I had get a lawyer and go to court over it. Needless to say I never rode with them again. So don't do anything stupid that will get somebody else in trouble.
I think thats just as much towards "excessive speeding" as it is with not riding with complete tools.

·
Registered
248 Posts
This happened about 3 months after I started riding. I had no idea then. You learn by experience though I guess.
Yeah thats all I was saying. I've gone on rides and turned around and went home after a few miles just cause of how stupid some of the people were riding. Crossed them off the list of people I'd ride with ever again. Ya live and you learn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts