Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Riding in between traffic

3K views 38 replies 28 participants last post by  05RedR6 
#1 ·
Just curious, on freeways during heavy traffic, do you guys ride in between traffic? Is this legal? I don't usually ride heavy traffic, but I was in traffic this weekend in the cage, and had several bikes go by me...its cool that we can fit through traffic like that, but looks risky.

#4 ·
In Cali it's legal. It's called splitting lanes. I usually do it when there both lanes are travelling the same rate of speed. If one lane is slower or faster than the other it can be dangerous, as you'll have cagers pulling in and out of lanes. Most of the times, they never pay attention to you.

#16 ·
man just the other day i seen a cage try and run a cat off the shoulder while he was passin him...i just think that shit it stupid...i can see if its in rush hour traffic and you split some lanes to get home sooner but to split traffic and go on the shoulder when all you have to do is wait a second for a car or two to move thats just askin to die...

i dont do it cuz its stupid not cuz its legal or illegal...but thats just how i ride so to all you lane splitters and shoulder passers be careful and i hope you got some angels ridin on the back of that bike

#17 ·
Everything on a bike is illegal in Iowa. can't do shit, can't get away with shit, cops lie about everything........just completely hated. UNLESS you ride a harley.

but i dont lane split unless at stoplights. Doing it in traffic is asking for something far worse than a low side or a high side.

#21 ·
I do it all the time.
If i wanted to sit behind monkeys in the out side lane who are traveling at 2.3 mph faster thn the twerp in the middle lane who is moving 3.2 mph faster than the HGV in the inside lane , then I would drive a car.
Filtering is part of riding a motor cycle in my oppinion.
Theres a dumb arse way to go about it and theres a more calculated way to do it.
I dont like filtering through lonk lines of slow moving heavy traffic, but on the open road, I will pass between cars if the gap is wide enough.
I dont know about where you are, but cars tend to move over alot here to let you go between them, its almost expected on the motorway here.
Yes its dangerous, but getting on a bike is dangerous in its own right.

#22 ·
I am from Cali also and I do split lanes most of the time "when the flow of traffic is between 0-40 MPH". I only do that when I am between the fastest lane and the one next to it. And when I do so, I do it at a constant speed and bringing my RPM around 10k so cars can hear me coming.
But most of the cagers actually move out of the way or give you enough room to squeeze by "out of courtesy most of the time" since I do that same thing when I drive my cage.

Just be safe and be aware of the drivers....and best if you are able to seee the drivers. :cheers

#23 ·
If youre gonna split laned by all means do it,

BUT, just make sure you are paying attention to every vehicle that is relavent to the situation. That includes yourself, the cars you are splitting, other bikes around you, the car that is merging into the lane where you are headed, and the cars slamming on their brakes up ahead........

Assume that ALL OF THESE VEHICLES WANT TO KILL YOU!!!

If you feel comfortable with paying that close of attenion ..... STILL BE CAREFUL!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.