Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I had mine first ride in the rain, not because I said, hmm it's raining, I think I'll go for a ride.

I went out like every Thursday night and BAM! I have to admit that I was scared and those white lines on the road are the devil :flame. My ride home took about 20 minutes, but it felt like a LOT more time than that. As soon as I started the ride I noticed that my sensitivity to the bikes behaviour skyrocketed. The sensation of feedback was almost overwhelming, but I kept calm and made it home safely. It really was revelating experience that has made me respect the bike more than before and I had a lot of respect for it before last night. :bow

In a strange way, this ride in uncharted territory (for me) incerased my enjoyment of this awesome machine. I can't wait to do a track school.

This may sound dumb to some, but for me it was great.

So, how was your first ride in the rain?

Joel

·
Registered
846 Posts
Miserable... When I took my M/C road test it was raining... The 15 mile ride home from the test on a highway was awful... I was on a 92 CBR F2... Just wanted to get home, but the rain was like rocks hitting my frozen hands... it was pretty bad... but now I know to dress for it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The first time i ever got to ride in the rain, I was headed back from Hooters on a sunday, normally it's about a 20 min. ride from my house to there.....on the way home it took me a little over 30 minutes. It was summer time so it wasn't really cold so i just had on a T-shirt and regualr pants(big no no i know).....yeah that sucked....it felt like people were shooting my hands and arms with b-b guns. :cuss

·
Registered
20 Posts
I put my bike in an indoor show around the first week of December this past year. During daylight, it was near 60 outside, so not too bad of a ride. By about 9 that night when the show let out, the temp had dropped to 40 and it had started to rain. It was miserable. I had on jeans, leather jacket, and leather gloves, but I was still frozen by the time I made it the six or seven miles to my house.

All that trouble for a show that had only two sport bikes in it :cuss

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I hear you guys on that. It was a bit cold and windy but the jacket, gloves and helmet shielded me pretty well from the rain stinging me. I guess I was so nervous that I noticed it was cold after I got home, LOL.
But the wind moving the bike around was the worst. All my concentration was on the road and keeping myself upright, so I guess that didn't leave much room to think about other things like cold and such.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Terrible, getting caught in the rain SUCKS...

But, these bikes, surprisingly do pretty well in the rain...as long as you dont have race tires on it.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
I was scared shitless. My first time in the rain I was on my way home from work and had to ride through downtown cleveland. I had on jeans a t shirt and a helmet. I didn't mind the rain hitting me , but I was scared because I felt like I was going to slide and fall. It was kind of windy that day too. I was going over a bridge and it was raining so much that the water level on the bridge had to be atleast 2 inches high. I hate the rain. Regular streets don't bother me, but I can not stand the freeway.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Rain = bike put up.

I got caught in the rain picking up my GF from class once and it was actually kinda fun, at least she thought so. My ass was puckered for like 3 hours after I got home.

Only been in the rain 2 other times than that. Once I went because I hadn't gotten to ride in almost 2 weeks so I was going into withdrawal.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
z31maniac said:
Once I went because I hadn't gotten to ride in almost 2 weeks so I was going into withdrawal.

hahahahahahaha,

I remember one time last year...I think it was in January. It was like 65 degrees one day so I went for a ride...Granted it was POURING rain, but **** when you live in Chicago (or anywhere north of where I live now) you get a 65 degree day in January...YOU RIDE!!!!!

ya, if you are careful, our bikes=not too bad in the rain...

REMEMBER, they run motoGP races in the rain.....l

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I like riding in the rain.....i got always seem to get "caught" in the rain......I can't wait to drag some knees in the rain.....you can pretty much ride the same in the rain as you do when it's not raining you just have to be a bit more caution about the gravel......you're not going to hydroplane cuz of the profile of the tire.....

i will admit the first time was a little unnerving but after you realize that it's just about the same then you're good....

·
Registered
234 Posts
Riding in the rain: A friend who owns a GXSR-750 said he'd meet me at the mall. it started rainin before i had to leave and i didnt know if he had gone, stayed home, or turned around....so i rode up there in the rain, on asphalt mixed w/ coral (scary ass slippery)...i was payin attention to my bike, the road, and the cars around me...made it home in one piece and don't want to do it again but if i need to i will.

BTW, he had left and turned around when it started rainin. damn the luck

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Riding in the rain doesn't bother me much. You just have to be much more careful on the streets in town because of the oil.

My first roadrace was in the rain at Hallett. I won by about 2 seconds, and the guy behind me was also an X motocrosser. About half of the class crashed. lol

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
TexasR6 said:
Riding in the rain doesn't bother me much. You just have to be much more careful on the streets in town because of the oil.

My first roadrace was in the rain at Hallett. I won by about 2 seconds, and the guy behind me was also an X motocrosser. About half of the class crashed. lol
It rained last year when we went up to Grattan, MI to watch the WERA races....it was sweet, awesome crashes and it's cool the first time you see someone tippin it over on the water

·
Registered
9 Posts
My first ride in the rain was maybe a decade or more ago, the thing I love about the r6 in the rain is...give it half a handful away from the lights ,and spin out that rear...let off ..spin it up again...let off, and still leave those Volvos behind.Its about adjusting your riding style to the conditions, contrary to what may seem right I find a mod"ed bike easier to ride in shit conditions, the reason i added an akropovic pipe was not just sound and power but you get a better feel,and crisper throttle response,and a boosted overrun is kinder on the downshift.slime,and shit,and shifted gravel are the real enemies rather than the rain...except on the visor.I have,unfortunately,had to ride the whole way across Germany in the rain...it"s great when it ends...real grin time.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
JSR6 said:
Great stories! You guys are cracking me up with the withdrawl thing, LOL. :hammer

hahahahahahahahahaa,

Ya man, I used to live for 50 degree winter days in Chicago, but now that Im in Orlando.......

I forgot what it is like to not be able to ride...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jasamb said:
JSR6 said:
Great stories! You guys are cracking me up with the withdrawl thing, LOL. :hammer

hahahahahahahahahaa,

Ya man, I used to live for 50 degree winter days in Chicago, but now that Im in Orlando.......

I forgot what it is like to not be able to ride...
Hit me up with a PM or email whenever you can. I'll be at Hooters next Thursday. :cheers

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.