Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SUCKS!

hey, im a noob here, i ride an 00 6, fairly new to it. only had it a 6 months or so.
but how the heck do u deal with riding on a windy day.. not cuz of the cold, but the freakin loss of control.. i'm crusin and woosh, i'm gusted over. i'm like what the..! so i power on thru and brace for the next one . but you get the jist, big suckfest.

so what are your tecniques for uber windy days? or just drive the f-ing car

·
Knee Draggin Poor Boy
1,238 Posts
I honestly don't know what i do, i just do it and i have never had a problem, even on wheelies.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
"The worst day on a bike is better than the best day in a car." Avoid the car at all costs. There is not really a technique you just need to get out and ride more so you can feel comfortable.

Just wait till you got the thing leaned way over and you get a big gust of wind, way more frightening than on the highway or city streets.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Isn't that saying, "The worst car is always better than the best bike." Haha...or at least that's what my dad still says everytime I see him and the bike subject comes up.

·
Registered
786 Posts
z31maniac said:
"The worst day on a bike is better than the best day in a car." Avoid the car at all costs.
AMEN

First few windy days on the bike, I was on a backroad up here on the 'mountain' .... didn't notice it... (was riding with it , doing some crazyyyy speed) .... once I was in a cross-wind.... it was so bad, my back tire felt like it was sliding under me going in a straight line... I almost thought my alignment was facked...

Windless or windy.... ride on :cheers

·
Registered
728 Posts
deltaonex said:
just lean into the wind.
+1

I guess it's just one of those things that you learn as you go. Riding in the wind is no biggie; however, when you're at a stoplight and the wind comes, WATCH OUT lol.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
my 1st tiem out was during a really windy day..... that was intresting to learn how to deal with the wind... I over came it.. Just don't try to lean into the wind tooo much, cuz if it is gussty you'll be swerving all over the place when it stops pushing you.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
just like peeing in the wind...you will get the hang of it....

:piss

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in Holland and today was windy as *****. It was also my first time ridding with severe wind and rain (in a flat country, theres no mountains here) on highway in a long ass bridge..

Well lets just say I learned it the hard way.. I just tuck down and countersteer a bit till I get that feeling of wind is out. but to be honest I felt like I almost died about 15 times today.. cus wind was in and out.. :swordfigh

Magic Combination: Wind (31Kms/h) + rain (mild) + Highway long ass bridge with expansion gaps bumps every 100meters + trucks :screwy

One thing I found very usefull was too look to the trees or anything which is flapping around showing which side wind is gusting and prepare myself before hand.

Just my noob experience here! Good topic by the way! :YEA

1 - 20 of 29 Posts