Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
My R6 eats me. True.
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been on a few long rides now (70-150miles each) and afterwards my upper thighs and arms are just killing me. Ive adjusted my front fork preload all the way soft, and the rear preload to 3 (goes up to 10 as the stiffest) and it seemed to help alot. I have a service manual that covers all the adjustments and set everything else just a little softer than standard. I ride with my arm slightly bent at the elbows and sit about 4-5 inches from the tank. Also this is my first year riding in 5 years. Am i doing anything wrong or is it just me using muscles that havent been worked this hard in years?

·
2007 R6
911 Posts
Part of it is using those muscles. I get that way even if I haven't been on a long ride in a month or so.

I always get sore in the same places as well when riding my R6. There is a certain area on the back of my neck that hurts like hell. It doesn't seem to matter how I sit on the bike. I do have some back (disk) problems so I know that doesn't do me any favors with riding a sport bike but one thing I have found to curb fatigue is to stop frequently.

·
My R6 eats me. True.
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah im thinking most of it is just using those muscles more than im used to. Today i stretched really good before going out and felt better but its always in those areas that hurt the most. Also my wrists, is feels like im having to learn on the handle bars alot even though im keeping a loose grip

·
Still learning
259 Posts
I like to to stay on the tank more, I have a tank bag that I rest on. It takes some pain away from my back. But usually my hands go numb after an hr or so. I want some clip on but don't know if I should get risers or not.

·
Nothing Special
52 Posts
This is something I'm hoping I will learn to deal with myself. I'm new to sportbike ownership, with this '03 being my first one. I've broken over two dozen bones over the years in various types of bike racing, but I've been off the bike since 1992. At 53 (and some days it's 53 going on 153) I'm a little concerned about an upper spine problem I have at T7 from a previous fall. T7 is kinda high up there (about level with the bottom of your shoulder blades) and from what I've read this riding position messes with the lumbar area more (much lower) than the thoracic area (the "T" area where my issues are).

I'm hoping to learn to cope without having to go the expense of using regular handlebars (rather than clip ons) to change my riding position to more of a flat tracker/UJM type of thing. I've found that taking a break once every hour helps tons. One of my last bikes had only a 2.2 gallon capacity so the one hour break thing was easily done, had to stop for gas every 75 miles!

I wonder if any of the modern hard-point protective gear would help with rider support? I was an armed professional for many years, and wearing a bullet proof vest was extremely helpful for offering back support. Some of the modern chest/back protection devices for road racers look a lot like body armor, so I have to wonder if any of it would help riders like us with back issues?

:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
is the r6 really that uncomfortable for 50+ mile rides?what makes it "miserable" as one person states it? is it the position and the way the bars are angled?

i never rode a streetbike but want to get an r6 for the long commutes and gas saving instead of my ktm enduro which hogs gas as im constantly on the throttle

·
Meh
9,231 Posts
is the r6 really that uncomfortable for 50+ mile rides?what makes it "miserable" as one person states it? is it the position and the way the bars are angled?

i never rode a streetbike but want to get an r6 for the long commutes and gas saving instead of my ktm enduro which hogs gas as im constantly on the throttle
Comfort is all relative. I've done 2+ hour stints on my R6 and it's not the end of the world. I wouldn't call it comfortable though, and it's pretty miserable compared to doing the same trip on my V-Strom.

The ergos are all setup for riding at a racetrack. Seat is tipped forward, pegs are set high and far back. It's just not a natural position for your body to be in for long periods of time.

It's do-able, but it's not particularly comfortable.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,489 Posts

Honestly, the only thing that bothered me after doing 120+ mile rides was my ass and lower back. I had my stock seat from 2003 and the foam in it wasn't as soft as it once was. I recently had my seats redone by jbseatz(www.facebook.com/jbseatz) and they are softer than soft. The foam is all new, plus it has a layer of memory foam on there which makes it even softer. The center of them is basically the same stuff the stock seats are made of, and the outer parts are the same thing the gripper seats on dirt bikes are made of. I can ride for a LOOOOOONG time before I start feeling any discomfort.

Attachments

·
Meh
9,231 Posts
Yeah im thinking most of it is just using those muscles more than im used to. Today i stretched really good before going out and felt better but its always in those areas that hurt the most. Also my wrists, is feels like im having to learn on the handle bars alot even though im keeping a loose grip
If you're wrists hurt, you're doing something wrong. You should have zero weight on them. Your legs, back and core/abs should be holding you up.

Also, you should set your pre-load by measuring the sag. If that's how you came up with your settings, then ignore me. :) But unless you're *really* light, full soft on the fork pre-load is probably not good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.