Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently rode level one earlier this weekend at the local track. Although, I wasnt riding very well due to being ill, I will honestly say that it's not just me being sick that stopping me from being faster, it has alot to do with the way i am riding. I thought I leaned a lot further until I actually saw my go pro video. Any critiques that can help me be a better rider would be greatly appreciated. :toocool:

This was the 3rd session in the day, I didnt want to push it too hard.

·
Premium Member
35,477 Posts
It's hard to tell much with that camera angle but just remember to keep your head down and elbow out. Also right before the bus stop, accelerate out of key hole so you'll drift out to the right. If you can, have someone else follow you with a GoPro. Post up your pics from Blair too. We can better assess your body position with pics.

·
Premium Member
17,970 Posts
Looks like you're not moving your ass at all, you seem to want to move but your upper body is slightly moving but your ass stays in the same spot. If you were to get lower, you'd be all crossed up.. Get your elbow out, and try "Kissing the mirror"

my disclaimer is I'm slow and I'm a noob so you shouldn't pay attention to anything I said above, this are the tips that I know should be applied in general and you seem to be missing.Hopefully you don't read all this down here and just assume I know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also noticed in the video that My throttling and breaking are not on point, i have much to learn. I'll try to get Blaires pictures posted which show me coming out of a turn. Thanks for all of your input guys.

·
Premium Member
35,477 Posts
Here's a picture of me at MSRH. My body position isn't perfect but you can see my head near where the mirror would be.

·
Theturtle7023
1,102 Posts
I've done a couple racing schools, so i'll go through the list of how they always listed importance.

Step 1. Get your lines down. I have no idea what the track looks like, or if you were on the right line because of the camera view, but it looked like you left a lot of unused track. If you go faster and aren't on the correct line as a novice, it won't end well for you.

Step 2. Body Position.. over exaggerate. Slide your ass off the seat as far as you think you should, and then go further. Point your knee and elbow out, and lead with your head. If you lead into the turn with your head pushing towards the turn, it should reduce chances of being crossed up like babymilo is in his picture. Your body should be facing the way you want to be going, not the way you don't want to be going.

·
Theturtle7023
1,102 Posts
Wut, I'm not crossed up lol. Take a look at my other friend (sorry, Kyle). HE'S crossed up

http://www.hart-photography.com/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewImage=1693069
I'm not even sure how he got in that position. If you follow the direction your upper body is facing... its away from the turn, which it shouldn't be. It causes you to wrap your weight around the side of the bike, instead of hanging it out to lower and move the center of gravity. And don't take offense to my critique, i'm nowhere near perfect. I can't get my head down for some reason.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If I had to guess I would say that your balls are literally touching the tank.

Make sure there is a gap between you and the tank. It will help you to be able to move your bottom more.

Also stop looking behind you. It doesn't matter what's going on back there. If someone hits you from behind and youre not sweeping the line, then its there fault.

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
Work on lines and make sure you hit your markers consistantly, then work on getting your butt out of the seat. Next, if you haven't by this point already, get your upper body off to match what your lower body is doing, all while maintaining your lines.

·
Super Mod
1,292 Posts
Here is a video of mine from the same angle. This is from the beginning of the year, so I wasn't exactly flying, but my body position is pretty much where it should be in the turns.

There is some good advice already said in here. Learn your lines first and where you need to be on the track. You are slow enough where the lines are going to feel weird to you, but once you get more speed built up, they will all make more sense and they will flow a lot better. I am a big believer in leading with your head as well. Check out these two pics, my top half is pointed where I need to be going while my ass is just half off the seat.

The big thing is to not try and go too fast before you figure everything out. Body position needs to be second nature and you have to be able to do it without thinking, every time. Speed will come when everything feels right and natural.

The first thing I would say is get your top half as low as you can comfortably get it. I would like to get my body further down but I just cant seem to get in that position, but it works. Most of your weight will be in the upper part, and when you are in a long corner, you can play with your position and move your upper half around and push the bike away from you to keep it more upright. It will really show you how well it works.

But really, just get used to being on the track. Be loose, have fun, and ride safe. The speed will come in time, don't rush it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
lots of good advice on here, and probably too much to take in. learn lines first then you will get faster which will make it so you NEED to lean off your bike. at slow speeds it is harder to do this correctly.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you again for the advice everyone. This is def alot to take in!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 20 of 30 Posts