Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody i was having a conversation with a few riding buddies of mine and i was wondering how soon is to soon to go to a riding school for a new rider? a good friend of mines brother wants to go to a riding school and hes only been riding for a 2-3months do you think that its to soon? oh one last thing he has gone through his msf course.

·
It's pronounced "Tollz"
7,764 Posts
Too soon. At least six months of good street riding. It's not the ability of the rider, it's the awareness of the bike he's on. Beginning riders tend to get anxious and panic on the track. They need to be comfortable with everything the bike does. There's not a whole lot of time to react out on the track- much like the street- so being comfortable and used to the bike is the most important thing.

·
Speedy Claxton
1,768 Posts
+1

basic mechanics need to become second nature before you bring in track riding. if you still have to think about shifting and how to do it, ect.. instead of it just happening, its definitely too soon to go 100+ at the track.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats what i was thinking. in nyc thats about one riding season for us. he has good intension but i was trying to advise him to get use to the bike and how fast things happen then try a track day. what do you think about him going to a riding school like keith code?

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I don't think it would be that bad for him to go to a track day already, but it depends. As long as he isn't at a point where he is stalling the bike from a stand still (meaning he has no clutch/throttle control) or not shifting properly. I have seen someone with years on the street try and go on track and I don't think they even reached highway speeds. So you can be dangerous with little or plenty of street riding.

You mention he is new to riding, but that doesn't mean he can't pick it up quickly or will be a danger.

Edit: He might even feel more comfortable on a track in a somewhat controlled environment and will advance his learning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
drago010 he was looking for more of a school like keith code or something like that,not a full on track day. i think something like that can be good for him to learn with but a full on track day im not sure.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I have never been to a school like keith's code, but I would think it would be easier at a track day. You can go at your own pace and get help from control riders if need be. From my understanding, a school like keith's code is geared more towards those who have been on track at least a few times.

I feel like a school would be used to work on specific techniques to get faster, whereas a track day just allows you to get comfortable on your bike and being on track and negotiating turns without the specific focus on getting FASTER (at least for your first time out).

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
Can he ride the bike? If he can shift, turn, brake, etc.. he would improve by taking a school. He's not gonna come out of Kieth Code's school dragging knee, but he could go. Their information says you must know how to ride. It doesn't say you need to be fast, etc..

I would suggest he goto a trackday. I did my first one with absolutecycle. They will hold your hand if need be. There were first timers there who were hopeless. Like 30 MPH in the turns, just slow. One kid was under 17 no license, first time on a street bike. You just need to know how to ride to go. They will help him huge amounts.

·
Registered
271 Posts
At this point he may benefit more from a motorcycle safety course. Has he done trackdays at all? California superbike school requires that students have done trackdays. It's in their rules.

I wouldn't recommend trackdays to a newbie either. It is important to have a good handle on the bike before going to the track. A complete newbie would be a hazard to himself and everybody alse on the track.

·
Premium Member
35,478 Posts
Too soon. At least six months of good street riding. It's not the ability of the rider, it's the awareness of the bike he's on. Beginning riders tend to get anxious and panic on the track. They need to be comfortable with everything the bike does. There's not a whole lot of time to react out on the track- much like the street- so being comfortable and used to the bike is the most important thing.
This :fact

·
Registered
61 Posts
He would be fine at one of our trackdays... we are sort of a cross between a school and a trackday, and our beginner group is extremely tame.

We'll be in NJ on May 1 and 2 riding Thunderbolt.

Another option is the Lee Parks Advanced Riding Clinic... which we run in New Hampshire, usually on day one of our Two Day trackdays. Many newer riders choose to do the ARC program on day one and then a trackday on day two.

Anyway, feel free to check us out... link is below to our site. We have 21 trackdays scheduled this year, mostly in NH, but 4 in NJ.

·
I love track
210 Posts
I rode on the street twice before I did my first trackday I was super slow but by lunch I felt comfortable and safer than riding on the street

·
I love track
210 Posts
He would be fine at one of our trackdays... we are sort of a cross between a school and a trackday, and our beginner group is extremely tame.

We'll be in NJ on May 1 and 2 riding Thunderbolt.

Another option is the Lee Parks Advanced Riding Clinic... which we run in New Hampshire, usually on day one of our Two Day trackdays. Many newer riders choose to do the ARC program on day one and then a trackday on day two.

Anyway, feel free to check us out... link is below to our site. We have 21 trackdays scheduled this year, mostly in NH, but 4 in NJ.
I wish I knew about your days back when I still lived back home in New Hampshire

·
Look But Don't Touch
68 Posts
do you need a mc license to go to a track? got a situation where i cant get one but i been riding for 4 summers and really want to experience the track

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
do you need a mc license to go to a track? got a situation where i cant get one but i been riding for 4 summers and really want to experience the track
It's probably going to depend on the track day organization. There's no legal reason to require it, since you're not riding on the road. I could see it being a requirement for insruance / liability reasons, but of the two track days I've done, no one checked my license.

You can probably check the web site for whatever the track day org is and find out from there, or shoot them an e-mail.

·
slow guy
4,400 Posts
The track schools around here are for beginners are the way up to experts. they split everyone up on experience. They do the same with trackdays. The sooner the better in my book, tell him to sign up!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts