Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know what the penalty is for riding on a permit w/out a supervisor?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know its not but finding someone to ride w/ when i want to is such a pain in the ass. im in colorado if you're familiar

·
Registered
917 Posts
in michigan riding without a cycle endorsement is a misdemeanor and 2 points on your record, its a $200 fine and they can legally impound your bike on the spot. Some cops are cool enough to let you call a buddy with an endorsement to ride it home for you but most cops just tow it and be done with it so I would reccomend getting that "cy" under your endorsements really soon

·
Registered
917 Posts
oh btw most cops dont really know how the cycle endorsement thing works. In michigan if you have a temporary endorsement meaning you just took the written test but never took a road test you can just show that with your license and they wont know any better. They will most likely think you just havent gotten your replacement license with the endorsement on it so the dmv just printed you out a temp like they would a normal license. But the rules here is if you only have a temp you can only ride in the sight of someone with a cycle endorsement and you can not ride at night or with a passenger until you get your endorsement, thankfully most cops arent as familiar with those laws as they should be. Hope this helps

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow...if impounding is a possibility then nevermind. I was hoping its just a ticket :-/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Up here in mass, you take a multiple choice test for the permit, then your off riding alone or with people and can do what ever you want...just no passengers or night riding, till your licensed.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Up here in mass, you take a multiple choice test for the permit, then your off riding alone or with people and can do what ever you want...just no passengers or night riding, till your licensed.
thats pretty cool. i hope thats the case in co.
they should make that one a federal law

·
mailbox killin' werewolf
3,856 Posts
i got pulled over for doing 77 in a 35 without my permit. The cop was really cool under the circumstances and gave me the summons to court but didn't mention me not having my permit or liscense. $150 fine here in CT in my case due to it being my first offense.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got my license in Lousiana...there they don't have ANY cycle permit system at all. You had to show up, take the written, and take a practical without every having had permission to ride legally on the street. Catch 22...backwards state.

·
RU R6
1,207 Posts
Ususally its a "driving without a license" ticket and a mandatory court appearance. If you get busted, you can try and get your M-endorsement by the court date and the judge may just give you a fine or dismiss it. If you don't get the endorsement by then, you're screwed.

As for the traffic stop and the cop, as already mentioned, they can impound, have a licensed friend come pick it up, or you can leave it there and come back to get it with a truck or something....but you will not be riding it back.

I would not hope that the cop doesn't know the difference between a learner's permit and an endorsed license. When they run the license, they'll get the DMV read back of what you have.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I got my license in Lousiana...there they don't have ANY cycle permit system at all. You had to show up, take the written, and take a practical without every having had permission to ride legally on the street. Catch 22...backwards state.

Where in La you at?? anywhere near fort polk? yup I can vouch for that I asked the lady at the dmv for my permit after I took the written test and she just looked at me crazy and said there was no permit. I asked her how was I supposed to get my bike there if I needed a road test she said most people ride it there no one gives them any trouble.. in LA if you take the msf course and bring your little card you do not have to take the driving portion of the test. is it like that anywhere else?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So get your license and you don't have to worry about it.
i have to have the permit for a year and i've got bout 4 months left but now that summers here its time to ride!!! and by the time i actually ge the license it'll be starting to snow again :mad:

maybe i need to take a little trip to louisiana...long drive tho

·
RU R6
1,207 Posts
Man, showing my age here, but I got my moto-license in 1994 while stationed in NC and they didn't have learners permits back then. I dunno how you're suppose to learn if you can't ride. Then they expect you to some how show up at DMV and take the riding test....wack!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man, showing my age here, but I got my moto-license in 1994 while stationed in NC and they didn't have learners permits back then. I dunno how you're suppose to learn if you can't ride. Then they expect you to some how show up at DMV and take the riding test....wack!
well from what i understand the idea behind the permit is that u hav to hav someone older ride w/ u to "supervise" which is just a pain to arrange last min. but when i got my permit at the dmv they were running around the place trying to find a book that said what the law was aand they came back with "a msf course instructor must be within 5-8 feet of the person w/ the permit while riding" and that makes absolutely no sense.

my plan is to call the popo station tomorrow and see what they say. if they dont know, neither will the cop who pulls me over :sing

·
Banned
2,723 Posts
oh btw most cops dont really know how the cycle endorsement thing works. In michigan if you have a temporary endorsement meaning you just took the written test but never took a road test you can just show that with your license and they wont know any better. They will most likely think you just havent gotten your replacement license with the endorsement on it so the dmv just printed you out a temp like they would a normal license. But the rules here is if you only have a temp you can only ride in the sight of someone with a cycle endorsement and you can not ride at night or with a passenger until you get your endorsement, thankfully most cops arent as familiar with those laws as they should be. Hope this helps
This made me laugh--out loud if it matters.

T1

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
^^^^^just freakin get a M endorsement geez!

·
Roll Tide Roll
63 Posts
Haha in Alabama I showed up and took a 25 question, mutliple choice test, only needed to get 20 right and they gave me my license. No permit, msf, or even a road test. O and you only need to be 14 to get a motorcycle license here too.

Yamaharider22 what part of CO are you in? Ill be in Colorado Springs next monday and will be there for the rest of the summer.

·
Riding on one wheel...
31 Posts
In maryland ive been told that if you go to the DMV and take the 25Q test you need 21 to pass...then they give you your learners and you have to ride with someone who is atleast 21 yrs old and has had their license for 3 years...

i personally dont know anyone that meets that so im just riding with my friend who has his license for a year until my MSF course at the end of june

1 - 20 of 26 Posts