Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually clutch it at about 5000 rpms in second gear to get it airborne, then play with the throttle to keep it up, until the gear runs out. I can ride a wheelie like this for a good quarter mile (half mile occasionally).

My problem is that I cannot shift into third. Everytime I do, it drops back down on two feet. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to powershift or what?

Mr. M

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
My problem is that I cannot shift into third. Everytime I do, it drops back down on two feet. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to powershift or what?
Shifting is essential for long wheelies, unless you can find the exact balance point, and slow down.
I don't power shift (no clutch) but I quick shift. (very quick clutch action without letting off the throttle.)

I can go from 1st to 5th in a wheelie if I have enough room, but you get going pretty fast by that point. I don't do that very often.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any problem finding the balance point. I can ride a wheelie all day long, as long as my gear holds out. But as soon as the gear is gone, I'm setting her back down because I can't get third to go. Any suggestions for shifting?

Mr. M

·
Registered
8 Posts
StarChild said:
I don't have any problem finding the balance point. I can ride a wheelie all day long, as long as my gear holds out. But as soon as the gear is gone, I'm setting her back down because I can't get third to go. Any suggestions for shifting?

Mr. M
if you can find a balance point, why would you be running out of gear?

·
Registered
409 Posts
yeah if your at the balance point then you wont have to shift you can just stay at a certain speed (technicaly) forever and to answer your question I just do a quick blip of the throttle, enough to get the wheel reall high, let off for a nano second to slip it into the next gear just keep the rpm high enough to get the wheel back up to the balance point after you shift.... practice smooth clutchless upshifts, it helps a lot i can shift without the clutch smoother than with it now

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, even though I am in the balance point, I tend to accelerate while in the wheelie, therefore the gear runs out, eventually. My problem is that once this happens, I cannot get the shift to go smoothly.

Mr. M

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
your not in the balance point sorry to say when you can stay in that gear and ride forever without worrying to switch then your near the balance point...

i do the same thing clutch it in second and use the throttle, i can ride wheelies for miles i ride the damn thing so long my oil light comes on sometimes, but when i put it down it goes off, stand-ups are much easier to do then sit-downs first of all. second of all shifting is very dangerous in a wheelie and your going way to fast! why do you want to go 130mph on one wheel? id rather cruse at 45mph steady pace, i put my left foot on the back peg and keep the right where its at. i found this technique very very good. also let some air out of your back tire so you have more of a surface to ride on. hope this helps somewhat, be careful. :cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice, bro. That helps a lot. Just one question, though. Why the left foot moved back to the rear passenger peg?

Mr. M

·
Registered
106 Posts
I shift in wheelies all the time. The trick on 600's is to go a little past the balance point, then let off, and bang the next gear, and get back on it (no clutch). 3rd on a 600 usually doesn't have enough torque to bring the wheel back up once it starts going down, so you have to shift well in the balance point. Keep the rear brake covered just in case.
I agree that stand-ups are a lot easier. I can bring 4th up on my girl's bike with no clutch, and that is impossible sitting down. Shifting in a stand-up is a little trickier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool. That sounds like it might work. I'll try that out this weekend, after I change my front tire. My front tire (on the sides) is showing seam. It ride hard, and come out of corners fast, so my tires go bad on the sides before the middle.

It's funny. The middle looks brand new, but the sides look like slicks. :cheers

Mr. M

·
Registered
59 Posts
when quickshifting you need to be further beond the balance point b/c u loose momentum when shifting also be awear that you might skid a little bit when shifting

·
Registered
106 Posts
Shawbitz said:
also be awear that you might skid a little bit when shifting
You're talkind about skidding your underwear, right? Unless your ridding in the snow.

·
Registered
302 Posts
To add to this thread, what is YOUR technique to clutching, I cannot get it up in 2nd, and standing up seems awkward. do I rev drop it, and lift? It feels like the bikes goin to take off without my left hand securely back on the bar

·
... and we win!!!!!
52 Posts
I usually just put it in second, bring it up to about 60mph, stand up, and bounce the front end up, no clutch or anything just grab a big handful of throttle and she'll come up real nice :flame

·
Registered
302 Posts
socalr6usmc said:
I usually just put it in second, bring it up to about 60mph, stand up, and bounce the front end up, no clutch or anything just grab a big handful of throttle and she'll come up real nice :flame
What year is your bike? any mods, I was trying on the freeway and Can't get it, I should start getting used to it and less fear.

thanks for the response

·
Registered
261 Posts
Is it easier to bring it up in second gear? I pop it up in first but my instincs tell me to lean forward when i go up so i only go up for a little while. I guess i need to relax.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been riding for 7-8 years. I've attempted to do wheelies in the past. Brought her up to about 12 o'clock one time (not having full control, I must say-feet off the pegs). I'm not comfortable with popping the clutch. I'd like to hear some advice on "how to" do wheelies. Be specific please.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Actually, the best advice I have is....DON'T learn. It's the safest way. But all I do now is:

about 60mph or when it feels right, hold steady throttle, pull in clutch with pointing finger just enough to let the RPMs raise, then snap it back and grab a hand full of throttle, then back off and keep it steady. Oh, and if it doesn't work, it's user error, fear, and the common sense in your brain telling you it's wrong :hammer

·
Registered
302 Posts
Baby_Girl said:
I've been riding for 7-8 years. I've attempted to do wheelies in the past. Brought her up to about 12 o'clock one time (not having full control, I must say-feet off the pegs). I'm not comfortable with popping the clutch. I'd like to hear some advice on "how to" do wheelies. Be specific please.
And try a search or even Yahoo. Theres sooooo many resources on just wheelies and stoppies its rediculous.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts