Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am a new rider, about 3 weeks now. I travel eceryday to work to san francisco on my 06 r6 and its gets pretty windy. Any good advice on how to drive safely in windy areas? I'vre heard drive faster, push the rpm higher and also lean into the wind. Any of these true?

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Hey all, I am a new rider, about 3 weeks now. I travel eceryday to work to san francisco on my 06 r6 and its gets pretty windy. Any good advice on how to drive safely in windy areas? I'vre heard drive faster, push the rpm higher and also lean into the wind. Any of these true?
Sup bro, pretty much all you can do in wind is lean against it. I would advise AGAINST going faster, you never know if you do go faster and the wind blows you, you will just head into the object FASTER, better to be able to give yourself just that little bit of extra time ya know? Ride safe bro.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What i've found is that when wind pushes on me, i let the bike lean into it (seems to do it automatically) and i track a straight line. As you get more experience riding, you'l get it down pat. Hope that helps. Keep on ridin'!!!

·
Hey Guy
5,290 Posts
Its ok to tuck down if its super windy. I know the bay area gets REALLY windy. Also, look farther up ahead instead of down at the road. Your body will automatically compensate as long as you stay focused ahead.

·
Registered
332 Posts
What i've found is that when wind pushes on me, i let the bike lean into it (seems to do it automatically) and i track a straight line. As you get more experience riding, you'l get it down pat. Hope that helps. Keep on ridin'!!!
+1 in order for your bike to go staight it will "lean" into the wind. Just relax and keep the bike going in the direction you need it to. The wind will do weird things if you try to fight it.

gary

·
Registered
31 Posts
you folks dont know the meaning of windy unless youve rode in kansas or oklahoma...(not uncommon to get 70mph cross winds/gusts and higher)only thing you can really do is just lean into it. here there are times it feels as if the wind is going to blow the wheels right out from under you, however it has yet to do so. gl and ride safe

·
fun and informative
560 Posts
we had a windstorm here a few weeks ago that hit 110mph winds. I started to ride home on the highway but decided against it when i was blown across 3 lanes. Went back to one of our businesses, parked it in one of the bays and drove a truck home.

Sometimes your cage is your best bet.
Ride safe out there and don't underestimate ma nature. she can get a bit irritable sometimes. :lmao

·
Registered
205 Posts
I wouldn't accelerate either on high winds, i almost had a close call on a head on collision the winds wouldnt even let me turn in.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah it scary shit. Was riding on a two lane single hiway and a sudden gust a wind push me near onto on coming traffic. Scared the shit out of me. I slowed down pass the speed limit and manage to fight it for a bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts