Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

right handlebar switch wiring

6K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Patroclus 
#1 · (Edited)
is there supposed to be constant 12v current going to the starter switch via black wire when the bike key is in ON position? thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, first of all, I don't think that is the correct diagram for your year. The wire to ground should be Black, but the wire on the positive side should be Light Blue/White. Secondly, 12 volts won't be there unless the kickstand is up clutch pulled if in gear, or bike is in neutral. Basically, the bike has to be ready to start.

#3 · (Edited)
the diagram is for my 2000 r6. do you know where i can find the correct one? everything on the pin going to the handlebar switch matches the diagram except the bottom left black is a blue wire. the last guy completed the kickstand circuit so you can start it with the kickstand down. Im not getting power to the plug from the black or blue wire so im going to take the harness apart and see if the wires are damaged. either this diagram is not the right one or i just dont have enough experience to read it without referencing the bike.

#4 ·
Get the correct service manual(s) here:
http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/...254-r6-service-maintenance-repair-manual.html

Basically the blue wire is connected to 12V pos. through the main cut-off relay. The swtches have to be closed to operate the relay. Either the Neutral switch, or the clutch and sidestand (together), need to be closed and provide a circuit to ground. That picks up the relay and power goes through the relay to the start switch.

So, the cut off relay may be bad, or not picking up. You should start there.

#5 · (Edited)
neither the 1999 r6 or 2000 r6 or 2000 r6 wiring diagram match up with my bike. why can I not find the right diagram. is the US bike the same as the AUS or EU one? THe closest diagram I found was for 2000 r6 AUS version but that doesnt even match up all the wires. wtf is going on.

#6 ·
Pretty sure it's the AUS that is the closest. but if you look at the plug diagram to the left of the drawing in your picture, it shows that the wire in one side of the plug is blue/white, and that the other side is Black, but if you follow the wire up to the relay, it somehow turns into a blue wire. I think that the diagram is wrong at the switch. The wire should be Blue.

#7 ·
in the diagram at the starter relay. i only see 1 30 amp fuse, where is the other one?

i traced my blue wire from the starter switch to the starter circuit cut off relay. from then on i have no idea where it comes out sincenone of the wires in the diagram match my bike... the black one coming from the start switch seems to go to the headlight plug which i dont have plugged in because my bike is streetfightered... so im assuming its looped back and connected to another one somewhere in the harness...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.