Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike is a 2014 R6. I am the 3rd owner and when I picked it up it had 3500km on the OD. The second owner picked it up form the yamaha dealership with only 2200km. The bike is absolutely mint - or so I thought. Was riding in a straight line on the highway when the right side clip-on came loose, It was absolutely terrifying but I managed to take control and haul off to the side to inspect it. Im lucky I wasnt in a corner or it would have been another story.

Anyway, upon further inspection the vertical bolt had sheared off inside the screw recess of the clip on, and the clamp was totally loose. It turns out that the clamp bolt used on the right side is not the same as on the left side. The right side is a partially threaded hex nut bolt, and the left clip on is a fully threaded allen key bolt. This obviously means that it was tampered with at some point right? Ill never know exactly what happened to the original owner to have to jury-rig this nonsense up, theres not a scratch on the bike otherwise and its apparently never been dropped, fairings are original, etc. If I had crashed, no one would have ever found out that the reason I crashed was the incorrect size and type of bolts used in the right side clip on. Even the screw recess on the clamp is showing some wear and is probably stripped out because he used the wrong size and type of bolt. Has anyone here ever heard of this happening? I have confirmed that the 2nd owner who I bought the bike from had nothing to do with it. Im surprised the dealership overlooked that part of the bike, who knows, maybe they did it. Anyway, ive got pictures to make it clearer what im talking about. I hope this isnt too confusing. The first image is the left side clip on with the allen key head on the clamp just for comparison.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
158 Posts
These bikes are pretty resilient. Even if it was dropped, if you don't see any scratches and all electronics are working great, and no nicks or dings on the radiator, there's nothing to worry. Check the foot pegs, brake pedal and clutch cover too.

Regarding the screw issues - if there are no internal threads on the clamp, the screw doesn't need the threads in that section either. I don't see anything suspicious there. Just replace all those screws on the clip-on, use a blue threadlocker.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Torque specs for fasteners all over the motorcycle are pretty low by design.

Based forum reports, it's not uncommon for that particular bolt to back out.

Use blue thread-locker adhesive while following torque spec for that bolt.

Following torque spec for some of the other bolts, such as the fairings and oil pan drain bolt, will result with stripping/damage. So I use thread-locker on all the fairing bolts. The drain bolt gets torqued to a reasonable level that will keep it in, but not strip, cross-thread and/or seize it in the drain pan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts